Larry L. Varn
With more than 35 years of experience in a broad range of commercial and financial litigation, corporate investigations, crisis management and litigation advisory matters, Larry Varn is highly qualified to help clients resolve their most complicated and critical concerns. He has dealt with securities laws, complex corporate and financial transactions, corporate governance and ethics, unfair competition and misuse of trade secrets, claims and defenses arising out of large loss fires and other catastrophes, and matters involving fire and life safety codes and standards.
Larry has tried and argued cases in trial and appellate courts and arbitral tribunals across the United States and has supervised multiple litigations in the United Kingdom. In addition, he regularly represents corporate clients and high net worth individuals in matrimonial, family law matters, guardianships and related proceedings in Massachusetts.
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004-2009
- Volunteer of the Year, PRISM International, 2003
- Member, PRISM International (Professional Records and Information Services Management), 1997-present; regular speaker, including keynote speaker at its annual United States and Europe conferences
- Member, NFPA International, 1997-present, including former member of the Technical Committee on Record Protection and regular speaker at annual conferences since 2003
- Member, American, Massachusetts and Boston Bar Associations, 1982-present
- Member, International Association of Arson Investigators, Massachusetts and United Kingdom chapters, 2000-present
- Allied Professional Member, Society of Fire Protection Engineers, 2005-present
- Professional member, National Fire Sprinkler Association, 2005-present
- Professional member, International Code Conference, 2007-present
- Member, Royal Over-Seas League (U.K.), 2006-present
- Member, British American Business Council of New England
- Member, Harvard Faculty Club, 1990-present
- "Pattern Discovery: Motor Vehicles" (3rd ed. 2005), Thomson West Group.
- "Pattern Discovery: Premises Liability" (3rd ed. 2005), Thomson West Group.
- "Pattern Discovery: Products Liability" (3rd ed. 2005), Thomson West Group.
- "Expert Witness Checklists" (3rd ed. 2004), Thomson West Group.
- Successfully tried in Florida federal court a NYSE-listed company's defense to approximately $6 million in claims arising out of a catastrophic fire in a manufacturing facility. The district court's decision dismissing all claims was affirmed by the Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Represented the world's largest records and information management services company in numerous matters arising out of several arson and accidental fires in the United States and the United Kingdom, including supervising the scene investigations, assessing the facilities' fire and life safety systems, coordinating communications with the media, law enforcement, code officials, customers and shareholders. Successfully represented the client in a federal trial arising from two of the occurrences
- Represented a major multinational manufacturer and distributor of consumer products in various matters arising out of a catastrophic factory and warehouse fire, including the client's successful claim for first-party property insurance coverage and several federal court litigations arising out of the event
- Represented the world's leader in wireless racking and recovery systems for automobiles and other valuable mobile assets in a contract dispute with the developer of its next generation product. After a 7-day jury trial, a Massachusetts jury returned a verdict in favor of the client for $36.7 million, believed to be the largest verdict ever from a state court jury in the state
- Represented a NYSE-listed company in connection with claims arising out of multiple failures of sprinkler heads across North America. A federal judge in Texas entered summary judgment dismissing all claims against the client
- Represented a NYSE-listed company in multiple litigations arising out of charges of unfair competition designed to drive the competitor out of business and causing approximately $60 million in damages. After a 6-week trial in New Jersey, the court dismissed all claims against the client
- Successfully represented multiple clients and trade associations in multiple matters involving National Fire Protection Association codes and standards
- Represented a well-known, New England-based manufacturer of specialty consumer products in the defense and termination of multimillion dollar claims for environmental contamination on the Massachusetts waterfront dating back to the Civil War and the Great Chelsea Fire of 1908
- Successfully defended the directors of a failed bank who were charged by a federal agency with approving inappropriate loans and substandard loan practices. After a federal judge held that the federal receiver could be charged with the consequences of its own conduct, the case was promptly resolved on advantageous terms
- Represented numerous corporate executives and high-profile individuals in contested and negotiated matrimonial matters in Massachusetts for more than 20 years, including a lengthy and highly publicized trial over the guardianship of a wealthy heiress and art benefactor and the subsequent challenges to her estate plan