Alex Mattera focuses his practice on all aspects of commercial bankruptcy, bankruptcy litigation, insolvency, business reorganization, and creditor and debtor rights. His representation includes secured creditors, with an emphasis on workouts and collection of troubled and defaulted loans, as well as creditors' committees, trustees, debtors, and other parties-in-interest in bankruptcy and related proceedings. He is a frequent panelist on behalf of the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Boston Bar Association and Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education.
Early in his career, Alex served as law clerk to the Honorable James F. Queenan, Jr., former chief judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Distinguished rating from Martindale-Hubbell, based upon the confidential opinion of peers and judges.
- Super Lawyers, "Rising Star", 2005-2012
- Pro Bono Publico recognition from United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Massachusetts
- Boston Bar Association
- Steering Committee (2006 - present)
- Co-chair, Education Committee (2013 - 2015)
- Co-chair, Practice and Procedures Committee (2011-2013)
- Co-chair, Membership Committee (2006-2008)
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Steering Committee member
- Turnaround Management Association
- M. Ellen Carpenter Financial Literacy Program volunteer
- Lanesville Congregational Church
- Chairman, Board of Deacons
- Represents mortgagees and secured equipment lenders in Chapter 11 reorganizations and sales, Chapter 7 liquidations, assignments for the benefit of creditors and receiverships.
- Represents both single- and multi-asset real estate entities in complex financial restructurings.
- Assists Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 trustees in administration of bankruptcy proceedings, liquidations of assets, and pursuit of estate claims and causes of action against multiple parties.
- Negotiates Chapter 11 plans of reorganization across multiple industries, including restaurant, manufacturing, and retail sectors.
- Represents avoidance action defendants against preferential transfer and fraudulent conveyance claims by bankruptcy trustees and debtors-in-possession.
- Represents landlord and tenant interests in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Assists interest holders in closely held corporations, partnerships and familyowned businesses resolve disputes and ownership issues.
- Asserts and defends claims of individual creditors in bankruptcy and non-bankruptcy statelaw insolvency proceedings.
- Conducts bankruptcy sales on behalf of sellers, including trustees and debtors-in-possession.
- Represents buyers of assets in bankruptcy and other liquidation sales.
- Represented Official Committees of Unsecured Creditors in Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.