Dan Strader works closely with clients to help guide them in complying with the latest legal developments impacting their workforces. Dan regularly counsels clients on compliance with state and federal employment laws such as Title VII, the Maine Human Rights Act, and the ADA, FLSA, FMLA, and ADEA. In addition to providing everyday advice and counsel on a wide range of employment topics, Dan works with clients on reviewing and drafting employment contracts, compensation plans, severance agreements, and contracts to protect their confidential information and trade secrets, as well as auditing and updating clients’ employment policies and practices.
When disputes do arise with current or former employees, Dan has an active litigation practice in both state and federal court, representing employers in a wide variety of employment matters, including discrimination claims, whistleblower claims, wage and hour litigation, contract disputes, and enforcement of restrictive covenants. Dan’s approach to litigation is zealous but practical, with a focus on mounting an aggressive defense while still looking for opportunities to resolve cases when doing so is in the client’s best interest. Dan has obtained favorable judgments for his clients in many state administrative proceedings and in federal and state court litigation.
Dan also has experience with the unique challenges that face employers with unionized workforces, and he assists clients with labor negotiations, managing union elections, and representing employers in unfair labor practice charges and other proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board.
Prior to joining Pierce Atwood, Dan was an employment law associate in the Sarasota, Florida office of Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP. While in law school, Dan interned for the Honorable Elizabeth A. Kovachevich in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida. He was an assistant executive editor and digest writer for the Stetson Law Review, received multiple scholastic awards including the Stetson Dean's Merit Scholarship, and was a Stetson Honors Program graduate and member of Phi Beta Kappa.
When Dan is not working, he spends as much time as possible outdoors, hiking, skiing, and exploring the Maine woods with his wife and three daughters.
- Included in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers "Ones to Watch" for Labor & Employment Law – Management and Labor & Employment Litigation
- Named a New England "Rising Star" for Employment Law in Maine by Super Lawyers (2019-2020)
- Named a Florida "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers (2016-2017)
- Co-presenter, “Remote Depositions: Best & Worst Practices,” Maine State Bar Association and Maine Trial Lawyers Association Litigation Institute, September 23, 2021
- Vice Chair, Impact Investment Committee, Brick & Beam Society, United Way of Greater Portland (2019-present)
- Maine Association of Nonprofits, Emerging Leaders Program (2019)
- Board of Directors, Suncoast School for Innovative Studies, (2016-2017)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Suncoast, Sarasota Community Board (2013-2015)