Brooks R. Magratten
Brooks Magratten has more than 30 years of experience in insurance and commercial litigation. He is the former Northeast Regional Director of DRI and former chair of its Life, Health & Disability Insurance Committee. He has defended over 200 ERISA benefit and breach of fiduciary cases in 12 states.
Brooks is a frequent author, instructor and lecturer on ERISA issues and trial skills. He has represented commercial interests in litigation throughout the northeastern U.S. He is a former adjunct professor of the Roger Williams Law School, teaching federal practice and procedure.
Brooks, his wife Paige and daughter Colby reside in Providence, Rhode Island. They are active supporters of the MS Society.
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Commercial Litigation (2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year in Providence for Health Care Law (2022)
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized as a New England "Super Lawyer" in the field of employee benefits litigation (2007-present)
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation and Health Care Law (2011-present)
- Chair, DRI Center for Law and Public Policy State Legislation and Rules Task Force
- Chair, American Bar Association Commission on the American Jury
- Board of Directors and Litigation Review Committee member, New England Legal Foundation
- Former president, Federal Bar Association, Rhode Island Chapter
- Former Chair, Rhode Island Bar Association, Federal Bench/Bar Committee
- Past president of the Defense Counsel of Rhode Island
- Member, International Association of Defense Counsel
- Member, The Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Member, Association of Defense Trial Attorneys
- Fellow, Rhode Island Bar Foundation
- Former Chair, ABA-TIPS Health & Disability Insurance Committee
- Faculty, International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy at Stanford Law school
- Co-director, The Litigation Academy of the United States District Court of the District of Rhode Island
- Editor, ERISA Survey of Federal Circuits, American Bar Association (published biannually)
- Participant in annual National Multiple Sclerosis Society's Challenge Walk; has helped raise more than $300,000 in this 50-mile, three-day walk (2002-present)