Gavin McCarthy is a trial lawyer whose practice covers a wide variety of complex commercial litigation, with a particular emphasis on class action defense and construction litigation. Gavin's practice spans the country, from representing Maine’s largest electric utility in a class action in Maine state court to handling a $30 million fire loss in Michigan on behalf of national resort developer to representing a leading national disability insurer in a class action in federal court in Florida. At the same time, Gavin regularly practices in both state and federal court in Maine, and is the author of the Maine sections of the ABA's 50-state survey of class action law and two leading fifty-state construction law treatises.
Regardless of the forum or the nature of the action, Gavin brings extensive experience trying significant cases. Gavin’s current representations include assisting a leading contractor in prosecuting an eight figure construction claim, a financial services company in a defending a class action in federal court in Maine, and individuals seeking approximately $30 million in a breach of fiduciary duty action in state court in Massachusetts.
Honors & Distinctions
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2018 as leading lawyer in Commercial Litigation
- Named by corporate counsel to the BTI Client Service All-Stars 2017
- Recognized since 2013 by The Best Lawyers in America® for Litigation - Construction
- Named a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers for Class Action and Mass Torts (2009-2013)
- Member, Maine Bar Association
- Author, Maine Section of the ABA’s Survey of State Class Action Law
- Co-author, Chapter on Maine Procurement Rules and Regulations, ABA Guide to State Procurement
- Author, Maine Section of the ABA’s Fifty State Lien & Bond Law Treatise