Pierce Atwood has an extensive history successfully representing clients in all types of probate litigation matters. Working with individuals, families, closely held businesses, and nonprofit organizations, our attorneys provide professional, steadfast representation in what can be some of the most complex and emotionally charged situations our clients entrust to us.
With sensitivity and discretion, Pierce Atwood attorneys are prepared to advocate for our clients’ interests in a range of probate and trust litigation matters, including:
- Will contests, including claims of undue influence and incapacity
- Contested accounts
- Appointment and removal of fiduciaries
- Breaches of fiduciary duty
- Creditors’ claims against estates
- Disputes over accountings
- Disputes over interpretation of Trusts
- Guardianships, conservatorships, and adoptions
- Partitions of real estate
- Petitions for Instructions/Declaratory Judgment Actions
- Trust interpretation and administration
- Trust reformation
We regularly represent individual and institutional fiduciaries, including trustees, personal representatives, administrators, and guardians, as well as individual and charitable beneficiaries.
While we are always prepared to take a matter through to trial, we recognize that probate related disputes can be emotionally charged and involve significant privacy issues and concerns. We make it a priority to counsel our clients with sensitivity about the risks, costs and benefits of litigation, and offer strategic alternatives at the outset of each matter. When a client chooses to pursue litigation, we regularly review the potential advantages and disadvantages of settlement and/or alternative dispute resolution at appropriate times during the course of the litigation.