Melanie Conroy focuses her practice on class action defense and complex commercial litigation. Melanie has experience in investor and consumer class actions based on alleged consumer fraud and unfair practices, consumer privacy, medical device marketing, product recalls, website accessibility, banking disclosures, change of control transactions, insurance claims, securities laws, and fiduciary duties. She has represented clients in connection with internal, government, and regulatory investigations, and has counseled boards of directors, board committees, and senior management on a broad range of matters, including securities, corporate governance, disclosure, data privacy, and regulatory issues.
Melanie represents businesses and organizations across industries, including financial services, technology, life sciences, insurance, retail and consumer goods, private equity, real estate, energy, and media. She regularly appears in state and federal trial courts, and is experienced in private arbitration and mediation. As a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US), Melanie helps clients understand and navigate complex data privacy and security issues that can underlie class action claims and arise in litigation. In addition, she counsels clients on compliance with a variety of state and federal laws and regulations concerning data privacy and digital accessibility.
Prior to joining Pierce Atwood, Melanie was a senior associate in the Securities Litigation Practice Group at Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP. Melanie frequently writes and speaks on topics including class action litigation, data privacy matters, and securities laws.
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, Financial Services Leadership Council
- Boston Bar Association, Multidistrict Litigation and Class Actions Section Steering Committee
- Boston Bar Foundation, Society of Fellows
- American Bar Association, Class Actions and Derivative Suits Committee, Securities Litigation Committee
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Harvard Law School Association of Massachusetts
- Harvard Law School Women’s Alliance of Boston
- What Has Changed with Article III Standing in Consumer Class Actions after Spokeo v. Robins?, American Bar Association Class Actions and Derivative Suits Newsletter (2019)
- Co-author, Massachusetts Data Privacy Bill Poses Potential Class Action Risks, Law360 (2019)
- Co-author, What to Know About Rule 23’s Potential Revamp, Law360 (2017)
- Contributor, Defending Clients in Insider Trading Investigations and Enforcement Actions, Defending Corporations and Individuals in Government Investigations ch. 13 (Daniel J. Fetterman & Mark P. Goodman eds., 2012-2013 and 2014-2015)
- Co-author, Applying Securities Laws to Social Media Communications, Corporate & Securities Advisor and Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance & Financial Regulation (2013)
- Friends of Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Nominating Committee, board member
- Political Asylum/Immigration Representation Project, volunteer attorney, 2017 Pro Bono Mentor Award recipient
- International Refugee Assistance Project, volunteer attorney
- Open Boston Logan Airport Volunteer Attorneys, Leadership Committee
- Friends of the Newton Free Library, member
- Sacred Heart Parish, Social Justice and Peace Committee, member