Jeff Francis is an experienced trial lawyer who has successfully represented clients in complex commercial and intellectual property litigation matters throughout the U.S. His practice includes litigation involving patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret disputes; technology development and/or licensing; large loss fire investigations, commercial property and business interruption insurance; and commercial disparagement, defamation and harassment.
One focus of Jeff’s practice is intellectual property and technology disputes in the software, cloud computing, and consumer products and services industries. He has successfully represented clients in disputes concerning trademark, trade secret, copyright, patent, unfair competition, employee lift-out, technology development programs, and other complex commercial matters.
Jeff has represented numerous clients in connection with litigation, across the country and internationally, arising from catastrophic fire loss events.
Jeff has also represented both companies and individuals in commercial disparagement, defamation, and harassment matters. These representations have included commercial disparagement matters brought against competitors in the consumer product and biotechnology industries.
Jeff has tried numerous matters in courts in Massachusetts, New York, and Florida, and before the American Arbitration Association. In addition, Jeffrey’s trial work has resulted in what is believed to be the largest jury verdict in Massachusetts state court history.
Honors & Distinctions
- Listed as a "Rising Star" in Massachusetts Super Lawyers from 2005-2008 and 2011-2013
- Member, Boston Patent Law Association
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, National Fire Protection Association
- The Defend Trade Secrets Act: Five Key Lessons, Pierce Atwood Client Alert, April 9, 2018
- The Challenge of Engaging US Counsel for Non-US Companies, Pierce Atwood Podcast, August 2, 2016
- What You Need to Know About U.S. Law: You Really Need to Register Your Copyrights, Pierce Atwood Client Alert, July 14, 2016
- The New Federal Trade Secrets Law: What You Need to Know, Pierce Atwood Client Alert, May 19, 2016
- Federal Circuit Decision Signals Game Not Over for Washington Redskins Trademark, Pierce Atwood Client Alert, February 18, 2016
- What You Need to Know About US Law: Massachusetts and New York Trade Secrets Not Governed by Uniform Trade Secret Act, Pierce Atwood Client Alert, February 9, 2016
- What You Need to Know About U.S. Law - Punishing the Dishonest Competitor, Pierce Atwood Client Alert, December 9, 2015
- Posturing for Protection: Yogi Chooses Wrong IP Tool to Protect Yoga Sequence, Pierce Atwood Client Alert, November 2, 2015
- What You Need to Know About U.S. Law, Pierce Atwood Client Alert, September 23, 2015
- The Five Largest Jury Verdicts, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, January 15, 2007.