Ilan Barzilay is an intellectual property practitioner specializing in obtaining and enforcing patent rights. Ilan leads a team of attorneys that procures patents for clients ranging from technology startups and research institutions to established companies and multinational corporations. He is a trusted advisor to clients seeking meaningful patent protection crafted to align with important business goals. His practice also includes handling contentious matters in the federal courts and before the USPTO. Ilan has a background in all aspects of intellectual property with experience in areas such as portfolio management, opinions, licensing, trademarks, and copyrights.
While Ilan specializes in the fields of electrical engineering and computer science, his legal experience covers a wide variety of technologies including speech processing, machine learning, cloud computing, electronic devices, telecom systems, microelectromechanical structures (MEMS), database management, financial services software, medical devices, flexible sprinklers, consumer products, equestrian hoof-pads, scented candles, and partridges-in-pear-trees.
Ilan regularly presents on intellectual property law and has been quoted in publications such as the Wall Street Journal, The Boston Globe, Boston Business Journal, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, Mass High Tech, International Business Times, and others.
Honors & Distinctions
- Recognized by Intellectual Asset Management in its annual publication IAM 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners (2014-present)
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® for Patent Law and Intellectual Property Litigation (2014-present)
- Named a "Rising Star" in New England Super Lawyers (2008-2012, 2014)
- Former Counselor, Boston Intellectual Property American Inn of Court
- Boston Patent Law Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- International Technology Law Association (ITechLaw)
- Former Adjunct Professor of Advanced Patent Litigation at the University of New Hampshire Law School
- Putting Meat on the Bones: An Analysis of Cases Addressing Patent-Eligible Subject Matter Post-Bilski, Emerging Trends In Business Method Patents, Aspatore Books, 2012
- Coping With Confusion in the Aftermath of Bilski, The Impact of Bilski on Business Method Patents, Aspatore Books 2011
- The Ground on Which You Stand: Lessons in Licensing, Intellectual Property & Technology L.J., Vol. 22, No. 9, September 2010
- Is Patent Litigation Worth It?, The Manufacturer, May 2007
- Minimizing Internet Risk, Internet Law & Strategy, Vol. 4, No. 11, November 2006
- How the Internet Exposes You to Risk, Internet Law & Strategy, Vol. 4, No. 10, October 2006
- Patent Litigation Worth the Headaches?, Mass High Tech: The Journal of New England Technology, Vol. 24, Issue 40, September 29 – October 5, 2006
- The Importance of Intellectual Property, MIT $50K Entrepreneur, Vol. III, Issue III, Fall 2005
- Telling All is A Taking, NAT'L L.J., Vol. 25, No. 40, May 26, 2003
- Court Rejects State Law Compelling Ingredient Disclosure, WASH. L. FOUND., Vol. 13, No. 6, February 28, 2003
- Copyright Developments Affect Electronic Rights, BOSTON BAR J., Vol. 46, No. 1, Jan.-Feb. 2002
- Town Meeting member, Needham, Mass.
- Former member of the Board of Trustees, Temple Beth Shalom, Needham, Mass.