Matt O'Connor is an associate in Pierce Atwood’s Litigation and Business Practice Groups, handling complex commercial litigation, ERISA matters, corporate restructuring, and state and federal insolvency proceedings. He is actively involved in all aspects of litigation, including investigation, discovery, and depositions, and has experience trying cases and resolving matters by way of alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation. Matt has argued motions and appeared on behalf of clients in state and federal courts throughout Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
Before joining Pierce Atwood, Matt was an associate in the Boston and Providence offices of Morrison Mahoney LLP. Prior to private practice, he was a Law Clerk to Associate Justice Francis X. Flaherty of the Rhode Island Supreme Court for its 2014-2015 term. While in law school, Matt was a member of the Suffolk Prosecutors Clinic, where he secured his first jury trial victory, the Moot Court Honor Board, and a comment editor for the Suffolk Journal of Trial & Appellate Advocacy.
Honors & Distinctions
- Pro Bono Honor Roll, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court (2014)
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Masschusetts Defense Lawyers Association (MassDLA)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Member
- New Lawyers Committee, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Superior Court Bench/Bar Committee, Rhode Island Bar Association
- "Mode of Operation: Not Just for Supermarkets Anymore," The Standard (February 2016)
- JDRF New England Chapter, V1P Fundraiser (2019)