John Aromando is Chair of Pierce Atwood's Litigation Practice Group. A firm partner with more than 30 years of diverse trial practice experience, John currently focuses on the defense of businesses in complex commercial litigation. John represents clients from a number of different industries including financial services, energy, pulp and paper, manufacturing, insurance, and professional services. He has defended clients in a number of class action lawsuits, in Maine and in several other states, has tried cases in both state and federal courts, and argued appeals before the Maine Supreme Judicial Court and the First Circuit Court of Appeals.
John also appears on behalf of clients in arbitrations and contested administrative proceedings. He has been involved in several significant lawsuits arising from the residential mortgage foreclosure crisis. He was also recently called upon to defend a large law firm sued by a former client for legal malpractice. He has represented both defendants and plaintiffs in a wide variety of civil lawsuits. John also counsels owners, contractors, and sureties concerning construction contracts, bonding and insurance, and represents them with respect to claims.
Honors & Distinctions
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Commercial Litigation
- Received the 2016 Vincent L. McKusick Award from the Maine Bar Journal for his article, “Keeping Secrets From Your Client: The Attorney-Client Privilege For Lawyers,” published in their fall 2015 edition
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation since 2007
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Member, Grievance Commission, Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar
- Member, Defense Research Institute, 2015 Class Action Seminar Steering Committee
- Member, Maine State Bar Association, Consumer & Financial Institutions Law Section
- Member, Cumberland County Bar Association
- Former member, Fee Arbitration Commission of the Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar (2006-2012)
- Standing to Foreclose in Maine: Bank of America, N.A. v. Greenleaf, Fall 2014 Maine Bar Journal 186
- Maine Chapter of the ABA Payment Bond Manual (3rd ed. 2006)
- The Surety's Liability for Bad Faith: Claims for Extra-Contractual Damages under the Payment Bond, 47 Me. L. Rev. 390 (1995).
- Maine School Administrative District 51 Board of Directors, Member 2000-2006, Chair 2002-2004
- Foundation 51 Board of Directors, Member 2008-2011
- Maine RipTide ASA Girls Fast Pitch Softball Team, Head Coach, 2008-2011