John Aromando is Chair of Pierce Atwood's Litigation Practice Group. A partner at the firm with more than 30 years of diverse trial practice experience, John currently focuses on the defense of businesses in complex commercial litigation and class actions. He also advises lawyers and law firms with respect to professional conduct matters including the defense of professional liability claims. John represents clients from a number of different industries including financial services, energy, pulp and paper, manufacturing, insurance, and professional services. He has tried cases in both state and federal courts, and argued appeals before the Maine Supreme Judicial Court and the First Circuit Court of Appeals.
John also appears on behalf of clients at mediations and in arbitrations and contested administrative proceedings. In recent years, he has served as a mediator for a variety of civil disputes, and continues to offer those services in addition to his regular trial practice.
Honors & Distinctions
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Commercial Litigation
- Received the 2016 Vincent L. McKusick Award from the Maine Bar Journal for his article, “Keeping Secrets From Your Client: The Attorney-Client Privilege For Lawyers,” published in their fall 2015 edition
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation and "Bet-the-Company" Litigation (2007 - present)
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Member, Grievance Commission, Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar
- Member, Defense Research Institute, 2015 Class Action Seminar Steering Committee
- Member, Maine State Bar Association, Consumer & Financial Institutions Law Section
- Member, Cumberland County Bar Association
- Former member, Fee Arbitration Commission of the Maine Board of Overseers of the Bar (2006-2012)
- Keeping Secrets from Your Client: The Attorney-Client Privilege for Lawyers, Fall 2015 Maine Bar Journal 212
- Standing to Foreclose in Maine: Bank of America, N.A. v. Greenleaf, Fall 2014 Maine Bar Journal 186
- Maine Chapter of the ABA Payment Bond Manual (3rd ed. 2006)
- The Surety's Liability for Bad Faith: Claims for Extra-Contractual Damages under the Payment Bond, 47 Me. L. Rev. 390 (1995).
- Maine School Administrative District 51 Board of Directors, Member 2000-2006, Chair 2002-2004
- Foundation 51 Board of Directors, Member 2008-2011
- Maine RipTide ASA Girls Fast Pitch Softball Team, Head Coach, 2008-2011