Merrill Kramer is an energy and project finance partner resident in our Washington, D.C. office. Merrill represents some of the most active and innovative players in the energy industry. He has been ranked as one of the top energy lawyers in the country by Chambers USA, Washington, D.C.'s Super Lawyers, and The Legal 500. He has consistently received an AV® Preeminent™ rating by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest possible rating.
Merrill has advised Fortune 200 companies and other clients in the development and financing of over 80 energy and infrastructure projects representing more than $30 billion in invested capital. Merrill also represents large commercial and industrial energy users, including colleges and universities, on energy procurement and development matters. He is outside counsel to the Coalition of Renewable Energy Users and Developers (CORE). Merrill works closely with industry and political leaders in formulating and implementing laws and regulations to encourage renewable energy development.
Before joining Pierce Atwood, Merrill was Chair of the Sustainable Energy Practice at a Boston-based law firm. Previously, Merrill was Chair of the Derivatives and Structured Products practice at Chadbourne & Parke, LLP, a major New York law firm now merged with Norton Rose Fulbright. He has served on the Board of Directors of a U.S. residential solar leasing company that he helped to take public, and on the board of the largest ethanol company in California.
Merrill’s career began at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission where he was principal attorney on FERC’s Cogeneration and Small Power Production Task Force charged with writing laws and regulations to encourage renewable energy development. Merrill was also a senior trial lawyer in FERC's Division of Electric Rates and Corporate Regulation.
Honors & Distinctions
- The Legal 500 U.S. (2016-2017)
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- American Bar Association
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Energy Bar Association (EBA)
- Former Vice-Chair, Independent Power Committee, EBA
- Member, International Transactions Committee, EBA
- Member, Solar Goes Corporate Advisory Committee, Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA)
- Counsel, Coalition of Renewable Energy Users and Developers (CORE)
- Board member, One Roof Energy, Inc. (2012-2014)
- Board member, New Pacific Ethanol Holding Company, LLC (2010-2012)
- “Benefits of Combined Heating and Power Systems,” GlobeSt.com (September 21, 2015)
- “Understanding New York's 'Vision': A Roadmap to 'REV' and its Plan for Restructuring,” Public Utilities Fortnightly (August 2015)
- "EBA Climate Change Primer: Financing a Renewable Project," Energy Law Journal, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2008
- "Knowing The Biofuels Storage & Transportation Infrastructure And Limiting Bottlenecks," Project Finance NewsWire (June 2007)
- "Developing Financial Techniques - Derivatives Financing New Power Plants, Increasing in Flexibility," Natural Gas & Electricity Journal (January 2007)
- "Using Derivatives to Finance New Power Plants," Project Finance NewsWire (November 2006)
- “Scratching the Surface: How Improved Policy Can Unlock the C&I Market,” Solar Power International Conference 2017, Las Vegas NV (September 11, 2017)
- "Clean Energy Standards Update - Impact on SUNY Schools," New York Sustainability Conference 2016, New Paltz, NY (November 2, 2016)
- "Corporate Procurement of Wind Energy: Trends and Opportunities,” American Wind Energy Association (AWEA) Northeast Conference, Portland, ME (July 20, 2016)
- “Managing and Financing University Green Initiatives,” Wells College, Aurora, NY (June 15, 2016)
- “Higher Education Solar Development: RFPs and Contract Issues,” Smart and Sustainable Campuses Conference, Baltimore, MD (April 5, 2016)
- "Ethanol in the Pipelines- Experimental Movement of Biofuels," American Petroleum Institute, 2007 Pipeline Conference, Albuquerque, NM (April 2008)
- "Assets And Renewable Fuels: Trends, Risks And Prospects," Independent Liquid Terminals Association Annual Conference - Keynote Speaker (June 2007)
- "Knowing the Biofuels Storage & Transportation Infrastructure and Limiting Bottlenecks," OPIS Ethanol & Biodiesel Supply Summit, Washington, D.C. (March 2007)
- "Developing Financial Techniques - Derivatives Financing New Power Plants, Increasing in Flexibility," Natural Gas & Electricity (January 2007)
- "Petroleum Supply Management: The Big Picture," National Biodiesel Conference & Expo, San Antonio, TX (2007)