Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning technologies continue to extend their reach into our daily lives. Pierce Atwood’s lawyers have the expertise and experience to assist clients as these growing technologies affect their businesses.
AI in Privacy and Technology Transactions
Our Privacy and Technology Transactions teams routinely advise clients in connection with transactional matters involving artificial intelligence technologies, including machine learning. As AI capabilities have developed and expanded in recent years and interest in these technologies has peaked, an increasing number of software and technology service providers incorporate AI into their solutions. Further, the convergence of big data and AI presents new opportunities and challenges for owners and custodians of large data sets.
Our Privacy and Technology Transaction lawyers work with clients in a variety of contexts to navigate the promise and peril associated with these new technologies. Representative matters include:
- On behalf of client with large health care claims data set, draft and negotiate data use agreements for contribution of data to machine learning models
- Collaborate with major North American financial services company in developing contracting standards governing artificial intelligence and model risk, including standards relating to bias and fairness, explainability, and model validation
- Negotiate software-as-a-service agreement for natural language processing AI solution
- Negotiate master services agreement for industry leading AI data analytics tools for customer relationship management
- Assist banking client with analysis of privacy-related risks of third-party vendor retention and use of data for model training purposes
Machine Learning Patents
Our Patent law group regularly works with engineers and research scientists on patent applications dealing with the training, design, and architecture of machine learning models as well as customized hardware to operate them and their various runtime/inference applications. In addition to patenting new techniques for general machine learning approaches and improvements, our team has also assisted clients with many machine learning patents in various areas including:
- Audio processing, such as speech recognition, natural language processing, acoustic event detection, emotion recognition, dialog management, and synthesized speech generation
- Image processing, including user recognition, object detection, video summarization, and avatar configuration
- Digital workspace management, such as intelligent workspace optimization, virtual application and desktop delivery, network security analytics, content collaboration, and endpoint management
- Medical technologies and biotechnology, including automated movement and activity detection for applications such as phenotype and genotype analyses and development of therapeutics and diagnostic tools
- Business operations, including energy management and digital security