Randall Rich is the Leader of Pierce Atwood's Energy Practice Group and the partner-in-charge of the Washington, DC office. Throughout his over 38 years of experience, beginning in the Office of General Counsel of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and continuing for more than 23 years at Bracewell, LLP, Randy always strives to form close personal bonds with clients as well as trusting relationships with both regulators and his colleagues in the energy bar. He gains an intimate understanding of the business and legal needs of clients by working for extended periods in their offices, hand-in-hand with in-house counsel. Randy guides clients through the rapidly changing regulation of the natural gas industry at the federal and state level, providing sophisticated counseling and representation in contested proceedings, multi-party settlements, applications, rulemakings and enforcement investigations.
Randy represents all segments of the energy and utility industries before the FERC, the U.S. Department of Energy, and state public utility commissions. He provides comprehensive legal counsel on natural gas regulation and policy, pipeline and utility ratemaking, tariffs, certificates and abandonment; natural gas transportation, gathering, marketing and trading; enforcement of and compliance with the Natural Gas Act (NGA), Natural Gas Policy Act of 1978 (NGPA), and FERC regulations; natural gas business transactions; and oil pipeline regulation under the Interstate Commerce Act (ICA).
Since joining Pierce Atwood LLP as a partner in the Energy Practice Group in 2009, Randy continues to work with the firm's natural gas, oil and petroleum products clients before FERC and in related matters, including marketer/trader, producer and end-user clients and New England-based gas pipelines, LDCs and end-users with a significant and growing interest in natural gas, and crude oil and products producers, shippers and pipeline owners. He also has worked with consultants to foreign governments to draft new natural gas laws. His long-time representation of the Independent Oil & Gas Association of West Virginia and the Pennsylvania Independent Oil & Gas Association gives Randy keen insight into the development, production, and marketing of Marcellus and Utica shale natural gas, a game-changing supply of clean, strategically located domestic fuel that will power the eastern United States for the next century.
Honors & Distinctions
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020 for Energy Law
- Recognized by Chambers USA since 2009 as a leading individual in Nationwide Energy: Oil & Gas (Regulatory and Litigation), and since 2017 in the Chambers Global Guide in the same category
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized since 2014 as a Washington DC Super Lawyer in the area of Energy and Natural Resources
- Energy Bar Association, 1986-present; Board of Directors, 2004-2007; Member, Natural Gas Regulation Committee, 2014-2018; FERC Practice Committee, 2015-2018; Organizing Committee for Enforcers and Defenders Forum, 2016-2018
- American Bar Association, 1986-present
- Independent Oil & Gas Association of West Virginia, Inc., 1986-present
- Contributor to Pierce Atwood’s Energy Infrastructure blog
- Panel Moderator, Maine Natural Gas Conference (October 2017-18)
- Speech to Independent Oil & Gas Association of West Virginia, Inc. Summer Meeting (August 2017)
- Randy provided the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) update in the Educational Session. Randy spoke on FERC's new Commissioners, quorum issues, and pending pipeline projects.
- Speech to Independent Oil & Gas Association of West Virginia, Inc., FERC Gas Transportation 101 (April 2017)
- Panel Moderator, Energy Bar Association Enforcers and Defenders Forum (April 2017)
- Speech to Maine Natural Gas Conference (October 2016)
- Randy spoke on natural gas supply.
- Speech to Independent Oil & Gas Association of West Virginia, Inc. Summer Meeting (August 2016)
- Randy spoke on recent developments at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) of interest to IOGA's Appalachian natural gas producer and marketer members. Randy serves as FERC and Washington, DC counsel to IOGA.
- Speech to Maine Natural Gas Conference (October 2015)
- Randy spoke on gas service to industrial end users.
- Speech to University of Texas School of Law 14th Annual Gas and Power Institute (September 2015)
- Randy spoke of key FERC orders in the past year.
- Speech to Energy Bar Association Annual Meeting (June 2015)
- Randy spoke on "The FERC Way" and participated on a panel discussing steps practitioners should take to preserve arguments and appellate rights in FERC proceedings.
- Energy Law & Transactions, Natural Gas Gathering Chapter (LexisNexis 2018) (Principal Author)
- Pierce Atwood Pro Bono Committee (2014-present)
- Member, 40th Reunion Committee, Brandeis University Class of 1977, after-dinner speaker (2017)
- Ladue (Mo.) Education Foundation - Participated in a mock debate at event honoring former Horton Watkins (Ladue) High School Debate Coach and English Teacher, Wild Bill Heyde (2015)
- Member, Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, 2004-present
- GeoPlunge "Coach," Patterson Elementary (DC), Anne Beers Elementary (DC) (2013-present)
- Alumni Speaker, Practicing in Washington, DC, 30th Reunion, Washington University School of Law, 2010