Sarah advises energy generation facilities and industrial and large commercial energy users with respect to energy and regulatory issues and due diligence matters. Sarah also represents electric, natural gas, and telecommunications utilities before state regulatory entities.
Sarah assists energy project owners and developers with due diligence in connection with energy infrastructure acquisitions and negotiates key energy agreements, including power purchase agreements, natural gas supply agreements and firm gas transportation agreements, and renewable energy credit purchase and sale agreements.
Sarah also represents electricity utilities and natural gas local distribution companies (LDC) in major rate increase proceedings, as well as natural gas capacity and cost of gas proceedings before public utilities commissions. Sarah also assists electricity, natural gas and telecommunications utilities to obtain public utilities commission approval of affiliate transactions and mergers and acquisitions.
Sarah’s experience prior to joining Pierce Atwood includes working as a staff attorney with the Maine Public Utilities Commission (MPUC) in the Legal and the Electricity and Gas Division. This experience provides her with unique insight into the perspectives of energy regulators.
Before she joined the MPUC, Sarah was a shareholder in the Energy and Environmental Practice Group at Bernstein Shur and an associate in the Litigation Practice Group at Holland & Knight LLP in Boston, Massachusetts.
Sarah also served as law clerk to the Honorable Donald G. Alexander of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.
Honors & Distinctions
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Energy & Natural Resources Law
- Rated AV Preeminent® by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named a “Rising Star" by New England Super Lawyers in 2009, 2010, 2014 and 2015
- Member of the Board of Directors of Environmental & Energy Technology Council of Maine (E2Tech) (2017-present)
- Chair, Program Committee, E2Tech, 2017-present (Program Committee Member, 2016-present)
- Moderator, Maine Energy and Environmental Policy Outlook, E2Tech (January 25, 2018)
- Presenter, Natural Gas: Powering Maine’s Future Conference (September 28, 2017)
- Moderator, State of the Energy Sector - State Perspective Panel, E2Tech Expo (November 17, 2016)
- Presenter, Natural Gas: Where Do We Go From Here Conference (October 6, 2016)
- Presenter, Natural Gas: Energy for Maine’s Future Conference (October 8, 2015)
- Presenter, Natural Gas: Continued Growth in Maine Conference (October 9, 2014)
- Freeport Town Councilor, March 2013-present; Town Council Chair, December 2016-present
- Chair, Freeport Ordinance Committee, 2015-2017
- Steering Committee, Tri-Town Track and Field Project, 2015-present
- Freeport Town Councilor, March 2013-present
- Freeport Community Services, White Nights Fundraising Committee, 2004-2013
- Wolfe’s Neck Farm Foundation Board of Directors, 2004-2010