Gareth Orsmond is a real estate lawyer with expertise in land use, environmental and municipal law; real estate conveyancing, leasing, and financing; and complex development and redevelopment work. Gareth’s practice transects permitting, litigation and transactional matters. His clients include large corporations, developers, non-profit organizations, municipalities, government agencies, and individuals.
During his more-than-20 year career, Gareth has played an important part in bringing to fruition several significant developments, such as University Station in Westwood, The St. Regis Residences in Boston, and The Skating Club of Boston’s state-of-the art training and performance center in Norwood. Through his work with the Cape Cod Commission, various nonprofit organizations, and others, he has contributed to environmental planning and policy, land conservation, and affordable housing efforts. He also is committed to legal education. Since 2012, he has been an adjunct professor at New England Law|Boston.
Gareth graduated from Yale University and the Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark in Portland, Oregon, where he earned a public interest scholarship and focused on environmental and land use law through the school’s nationally-recognized program. Gareth also has a master's in jazz studies, with honors, from the New England Conservatory of Music. He has performed at the Village Vanguard in New York, Ronnie Scott's in London, and other venues, and has published articles on jazz. He remains deeply into music.
Honors & Distinctions
- Recognized as a top-rated attorney by Super Lawyers
- Adjunct professor, Land Use Clinic and Land Use Law, New England Law|Boston, 2012-present
- Lecturer on affordable housing, American Planning Association and Boston University's Metropolitan College of City Planning and Urban Affairs
- Member, New Hampshire Bar Association – Environment and Natural Resource, Municipal and Government, Real Property, and Telecommunications, Energy and Utility Sections
- Past Member, Public Private Partnership and Housing and Economic Development Councils of the Urban Land Institute, the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, Boston Bar Association, Massachusetts Bar Association, and American Bar Association's Natural Resources, Energy & Environmental Law Section
- “Enforcement of Zoning Requirements,” The Massachusetts Zoning Manual (MCLE 2002, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019)
- Common & Complex Waterfront Property Issues (MCLE 2008, 2011, 2014)
- The Massachusetts Ocean Management Plan: Applying the Lessons of Land Use to the Development and Use of the Ocean’s Resources (ABA presentation 2010)
- Contributing author, Massachusetts Dirt & Development Law, Massachusetts Land Use Monitor (legal blogs, 2010 through present)
- Legal Commentary, Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection Reporter (Landlaw, Inc., 2003-2013
- Treasurer, Board of Directors, Yale Club of New Hampshire, 2015-present
- Leadership New Hampshire, Class of 2018
- Board of Trustees, Concord Community Music School, 2016-2018
- Mentor, Association of Yale Alumni Alumni-Student Pilot Mentoring Program
- Delegate, Assembly of Delegates, Association of Yale Alumni
- Clerk, Board of Directors, Westwood Land Trust, 2003-2006