Paul K. Connolly, Jr.
Paul Connolly serves as Special Counsel in Pierce Atwood's Energy Practice Group. He has a unique background in energy and utility law that includes experience in the public sector and in the private sector as in-house general counsel of a public utility holding company and as outside counsel. This experience in all aspects of energy and regulatory law provides significant benefits to Paul's clients as they navigate the regulatory and permitting process.
Prior to joining Pierce Atwood, Paul was the Vice President and General Counsel for Iberdrola USA, Inc. (formerly Energy East Corporation and now AVANGRID). Earlier in his career, Paul was the managing partner of the Boston office of a large international law firm and led its state regulatory practice throughout the country. He has also served as an Assistant Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and started its Utility Division.
- Boston Bar Association
- Energy Bar Association
- Past member Edison Electric Institute and American Gas Association Legal Sections
- Oversaw all regulatory, litigation, commercial, and corporate legal issues for Iberdrola USA, the holding company of six electric and gas utilities in the Northeast.
Latest Updates in Energy
- Represented gas and electric utilities throughout the country in all aspects of their business, including facility siting and permitting for electric generation (traditional and renewables) transmission lines and natural gas pipelines, financings, purchased power agreements, natural gas contracts, rates, and mergers and acquisitions of energy companies.
- Worked on and successfully permitted a solar facility at an existing brownfield site.
- Working on the regulatory approvals for utility sized battery storage facilities for private developers.