Since joining Pierce Atwood's Environmental Group in 1984, Bill Taylor has devoted his legal practice to matters related to water law, waste discharge, stormwater and natural resource licensing, compliance counseling, rulemaking, auditing, and enforcement. He regularly represents clients before local, state, and federal administrative agencies.
Bill is experienced in the negotiation and structuring of complex waste discharge and wetland alteration licenses, including site-specific water quality criteria development, use attainability analyses and 316(b) determinations.
Bill is co-author of the Maine PFAS Tracker, which provides the latest news and updates on Maine standards and proposed actions on PFAS.
Honors & Distinctions
- Named a 2017 "Lawyer of the Year" in Portland, Maine in Environmental Law by The Best Lawyers in America®
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of Environmental Law (since 2009) and Land Use and Zoning Law (since 2013)
- Recognized by Chambers USA in Environmental Law (Band 1)
- Chairman, Maine Agricultural Water Management Board, 2009-present
- Member, Massachusetts DEP Advisory Committee on NPDES Authorization, 2015-present
- Member, Environmental and Energy Technology Council of Maine (E2Tech) Board of Directors, 2013-2017; former Chair of Program Committee
- Commissioner, New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission, 1994-2013
- Member, Maine NPDES Advisory Group, 1995-1997
- Member, Maine State Wetlands Task Force, 1995-1996
- Member, American and Maine State Bar Associations (Natural Resources and Administrative Law Sections)
- Co-author, Water and Water Rights, a national treatise published annually by Matthew Bender
- Co-author, A Practical Guide to Land Use in Maine, MCLE 2016-2018
- Co-author, The Promised and the Practical: A New England Perspective on Integrated Planning and Permitting, WE&T Magazine, Vol. 27, No. 5, May 2015
- Co-author, Product Stewardship, Stormwater, and Brownfields-Maine Innovates, Natural Resources & Environment, 2010
- Co-author, Wetlands – Law and Policy, American Bar Association, 2005
- Author, Wetland Permitting in Maine, Maine Bar Journal, 1997
- Co-author, The Watershed Protection Approach, Water Resources, Natural Resources & Environment, 1996
- Co-author, A Wetlands Primer, Natural Resources & Environment, 1992
- Member, Board of Trustees, Yarmouth Water District, 2016-present
- President, Board of Directors, Royal River Conservation Trust, 2014-2016