Soyoung Yoon is a highly experienced employment and education lawyer, and advises employers and educational institutions (including small businesses, large organizations, independent schools, colleges, and universities) regarding employment and education laws.
She focuses her employment practice on counseling clients on federal and state labor and employment laws, employee handbooks, criminal background checks, background checks under the FCRA, drug testing, employee classification under the FLSA, wage and hour compliance, FMLA compliance, leaves of absence, accommodations under the ADA, hiring, employment applications, offer letters, employment agreements, pay equity audits, employee performance, employment terminations, severance agreements, acceptable use of technology, social media, and workplace monitoring and privacy issues.
Soyoung advises educational institutions on a range of education law issues including admissions applications, enrollment agreements, acceptable use of technology agreements, social media policies, medication administration policies, trip compliance, homestay compliance, crisis management plans, student records and privacy, data security compliance, and religious exemption. She also assists colleges and universities with policies and procedures affecting students and employees, including student complaint procedures and Title IX compliance.
Prior to joining Pierce Atwood, Soyoung was an associate in a small firm specializing in employment and education law. While in law school, Soyoung served as a judicial intern at the Massachusetts Appeals Court, assisting the Honorable Cynthia J. Cohen and the Honorable Fernande R. V. Duffly (currently retired from the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court). Before becoming a lawyer, Soyoung worked as an educator for children with autism and developmental disabilities.
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Co-author, Maine Section on Employment in North America 2021 for Lexology “Getting the Deal Done”
- Co-author, "DOJ/FTC Guidance Details Antitrust Pitfalls for Businesses," New England In-House, March 1, 2017
- Author, "Vermont Latest in Continued Expansion of Sick Leave Laws," New England In-House, August 16, 2016
- Co-author, "Labor Department Takes Aim at Potential ‘Joint’ Employers," New England In-House, June 2, 2016
- Co-author, "Avoiding FMLA Estoppels Claims by Employees," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, November 5, 2015; New England In-House, November 23, 2015
- Co-author, "Religious Attire, Grooming Subject of New EEOC Workplace Guidance," Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, May 30, 2014; Idaho Business Review, June 23, 2014