Stephen Del Sesto focuses his practice on corporate restructuring, state and federal insolvency proceedings, creditors’ and debtors’ rights, civil business litigation and general corporate matters. Stephen has regularly served as a court-appointed fiduciary for federal and state courts in Rhode Island and Massachusetts business disputes, Securities and Exchange Commission actions, fraud investigations and insolvency matters. He has advised various businesses on issues related to all phases of formation, growth, and sale.
Stephen also has a wide range of experience in areas such as creditors’ and debtors’ rights, commercial real estate transactions, commercial zoning and land use, business licensing, corporate lending, corporate workout, business litigation, and business litigation mediation. Stephen is often appointed by federal and state courts to provide oversight and guidance to struggling businesses or to investigate allegations of fraud.
Stephen’s experience allows him to provide clients with strategic advice and business development input. His goal is to find the solutions that allow his clients’ businesses to avoid pitfalls and to grow. Stephen also serves as general corporate counsel to a variety of small to medium sized businesses. For more than five years, he provided legal counsel and direct oversight and management of the day-to-day operations of a large Rhode Island health care organization that was successfully brought out of receivership. He has most recently been appointed as Receiver to control and oversee the state of Rhode Island’s first private pension failure receivership. Please click here for more information about Stephen's receivership matters.
Stephen, the only SEC-approved receivership attorney in Rhode Island, has been appointed by the Chief Judge of the Rhode Island Federal District to investigate and oversee the liquidation of assets in a multimillion dollar Ponzi scheme.
In addition to his practice, Stephen previously served as legal counsel to the Rhode Island Senate Committee on Finance and is Practitioner Faculty in Management (Business Law) at Providence College. While in law school, Stephen was a member of the Moot Court Board.
Prior to joining Pierce Atwood, Stephen was a partner at Donoghue Barrett & Singal in Providence.
Honors & Distinctions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law (2019-present)
- Rhode Island Senate Committee on Finance, Legal Counsel (January 2016 – April 2017)
- Providence College School of Business, Practitioner Faculty (September 2015 – Present)
- Massachusetts Bar Association Rhode Island Bar Association Turnaround Management Association (RI and MA Chapters)
- R.I. Bar Association Debtors’ and Creditors’ Rights Committee
- R.I. Bar Association Business Organizations Committee
- “Litigating Closely Held Business Disputes and the Application of Rhode Island’s ReceivershipStatute” Rhode Island Bar Association Strategic Alternatives for Distressed Businesses, 2017 ed. (Contributor)
- Board of Directors, Providence Business Loan Fund
- Board of Directors, Providence Economic Development Advisory
- Board of Directors, East Providence Boys and Girls Club
- Leadership Rhode Island, Lambda II class