Bruce I. Miller
Bruce Miller focuses his practice on representing lenders and lending institutions in the structuring and documentation of commercial real estate loans and the negotiation of documents evidencing such loans. He also represents lending institutions in the sale or purchase of participation interests in commercial loans.
Bruce also represents buyers and sellers of real estate, developers and landlords in the commercial context, acts as title agent for First American Title Insurance Company, and acts as title counsel for other attorneys and firms that require such services. Bruce acts as foreclosure and workout counsel for various lending institutions and has previously acted as foreclosure counsel to the FDIC. He is frequently asked to consult with other attorneys in foreclosure related issues, relief from stay motions, and lender liability issues.
Prior to concentrating in real estate Bruce was involved in the representation of plaintiffs in serious personal injury, medical malpractice and product liability actions as well as drug related criminal defense in the Superior Courts. Bruce has also presented cases in front of the Supreme Judicial Court (Commonwealth vs. Gagnon, et al, 387 Mass. 567 (1982). See opinion after rehearing at 387 Mass. 768 (1982). He has also previously acted as Guardian Ad Litem in many probate court cases in Suffolk County, acted as a receiver appointed by the Superior Court and been appointed as counsel for parents and children in Chapter 51A cases.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in New England and The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Real Estate Law (2021-present)
- Listed in Best Lawyers in New England and The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2014-present)
- Recognized by Massachusetts Super Lawyers in the area of Real Estate Law (2005-2007)
- Co-chair, REBA Commercial Real Estate Finance Section
- Former member, Massachusetts Association of Bank Counsel
- Member of the Board of Trustees of condominium associations
- Assistant coach in Mock Trial program
- Representation of a major lender in documenting $51 million loan for the development of an 80,000 square foot ground leased parcel to construct a building containing 125,000 square feet of lab, office, and research & development space, with 84 parking spaces, at the property located at Northern Avenue and Tide Street in South Boston.
- Representation of client in connection with sale of Staples store in Sanford, FL.
- Representation of Cambridge Trust Company in connection with documenting $10 million loan for a refinance and a non-revolving line of credit secured by the properties located at 763 Concord Ave, Cambridge MA and 35-37 & 45 Spinelli Place, Cambridge, MA.
- Representation of East Boston Savings Bank as Participant in $25 million loan of which they will take $10 million secured by property located at 15 Middlesex Canal Parkway, Woburn, MA.
- Representation of a real estate developer in connection with the permitting of two buildings in Allston, MA, containing approximately 350 housing units and 45,000 square feet of commercial space.
- Representation of a developer in connection with the construction and financing of a 107-unit condominium in South Boston.
- Representation of a major lender in $12 million leasehold mortgage loan for the construction of a hangar at Hansom air force base for the storage of emergency medical aircraft and ambulances.
Representation of TD Bank in the purchase of a $3.5 million tax-exempt bond issued by MassDevelopment on behalf of a nonprofit organization serving individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Borrower is using bond proceeds to renovate its facilities and to refinance past debt.
- Representation of a major lender in $76 million construction loan for the new Boston Celtics facility in Boston.
- Completion of a $26 million loan for People’s United Bank for the construction of 121 residential units in Chelsea, which was secured by not only the real estate but by state and federal rehabilitation tax credits.
- Representation of East Boston Savings Bank in connection with documenting a number of loans, including: loan for $55 million secured by a portfolio of hotel and restaurant properties on Nantucket; loan for $2 million secured by 65 and 68 Commercial Wharf in Boston; and line of credit for $200,000.
- Representation of a major lender in the documenting of a bond transaction with the Montessori School.
- Representation of a major lender in the documenting of a loan for the acquisition of a major concrete manufacturer.
- Representation of a major lender in the financing of a marina in Plymouth County.
- Representation of a large minority owned bank in the documenting of various loans for the financing of church property and other commercial loans.
- Representation of a developer in the acquisition of a large bio-tech facility in Cambridge.
- Representation of a developer in the acquisition of various parcels of property from the Archdiocese of Boston for the acquisition and development of residential housing in Cambridge.
- Representation of a limited partnership in the sale of its restaurant property in Boston to a large national restaurant chain.
- Representation of a purchaser in the acquisition of a large commercial building in downtown Boston.
- Representation of various developers who acquire foreclosed properties for rehabilitation and resale.
- Representation of lenders who acquire loans from other financial institutions including the preparation or review of loan acquisition agreements and the due diligence required in order to purchase such loan facilities.
- Counsel to charitable foundation engaged in the acquisition and construction of cites for the erection of playgrounds for disadvantaged youth.
- Represented developer of 180 residential unit apartment/ mixed use building in Quincy Center, Mass.
- Represented major lender in $51.5 million leasehold mortgage for leasing of laboratory space.
- Represented major lender in $33 million construction loan for the development of 115,750 square feet of retail office space.
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of solar loan pools from Avidia Bank consisting of 241 residential solar loans.
- Represented major lender in $20 million participation of a $49 million loan for the construction of 242 residential units in Weymouth, Mass.