Jack Manheimer devotes his practice primarily to the representation of banks and other financial institutions in financing transactions and the workout or collection of troubled and defaulted loans. As an attorney with 35 years of experience handling front-end and back-end matters, Jack understands the challenges and dynamics of representing banks in their relationships with their customers.
On the commercial lending side, in his career Jack has negotiated, documented and closed hundreds of loan transactions, including term loans, working capital lines of credit, equipment lines of credit, floor plans, warehouse facilities, asset-based facilities and factoring arrangements, ranging from several hundred thousand dollars to $120 million.
On the workout and collection side, Jack is often called on to document restructuring and forbearance agreements for commercial lenders; negotiate, structure and prepare plans of liquidation; and advise lenders on the execution of remedies following default.
When a borrower ends up in bankruptcy, Jack is experienced in negotiating, preparing and implementing agreements to use cash collateral and provide adequate protection of interests in collateral, and litigating contested cash collateral, relief from stay and adequate protection motions and contested plan confirmations.
An attorney with Pierce Atwood since 1986, Jack has been a partner since 1991. Prior to joining Pierce Atwood, Jack was an associate with the law firm of Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson in New York City.
Honors & Distinctions
- Named a "Lawyer of the Year" in Maine by Best Lawyers in America® 2020 for Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
- Listed since 1995 in Best Lawyers in America® for Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, and other areas
- Recognized in Chambers USA for Corporate M&A/Bankruptcy law. One client described Jack as "passionate and uncompromising – as talented a bankruptcy lawyer as you'll ever find."
- Member, Maine Bar Association
- Member, Cumberland County Bar Association
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- "Judgment Enforcement; Executing on Specific Assets," Lormen Education Services (2008)
- Volunteer, Credit Abuse Resistance Education program, 2014-present
- Board of Directors, WinterKids Foundation, 2004-2010
- Member, Falmouth Town Council, 2002-2005