James M. Avery represents a broad range of utilities, developers, aggregators, and other stakeholders before the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities, the Massachusetts Energy Facilities Siting Board, and numerous other state utility commissions.
Jim’s clients include solar, wind, biomass, and other renewable energy firms; developers of natural gas-fired generation facilities; electric and natural gas utilities; wireless telecommunications carriers; and hospitals, government agencies, and industrial facilities.
Jim also represents clients in a variety of commercial and financial transactions, including acquisitions, mergers, corporate restructurings, contracts, and financings.
Prior to joining Pierce Atwood, Jim was a partner in the Energy, Utilities, and Environmental Practice Group at Brown Rudnick LLP.
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association, Co-chair, Energy and Telecommunications Committee
- Energy Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Infrastructure and Regulated Industries Section, Co-chair of Renewable Energy Subcommittee
- Co-author, Inside the Minds: Energy Law Settlements and Negotiations: Leading Lawyers on Dealing With Regulatory Commissions, Understanding Political and Market Forces, and Making the Right Deal, Aspatore Books
- Co-author, chapter on the Department of Public Utilities, Lawyers Cooperative Publishing Compilation on Massachusetts Procedure, Volume 9
- Co-author, State and Federal Deregulation of Electric and Natural Gas Services in Massachusetts, National Business Institute