John Gulliver is a senior partner at Pierce Atwood, member of the Management Committee, and head of the firm's International Group. For over ten years, he was also head of the Energy Practice Group. John's experience involves literally all elements of legal and regulatory power sector issues, having represented clients on a broad range of energy sector transactions, policy issues, financing, mergers and acquisitions, privatization, competition, and regulatory reform matters.
John has worked throughout the United States and in over 50 countries, including the Mideast, Europe, Central and South America, Asia, Central Asia, and Africa, applying his skills and experience to projects involving renewable energy development, energy efficiency and sustainable development; climate change and CO2 offset trading; gas sector regulation, pipelines, and retail distribution; project development and finance; BOT transmission planning, transmission support and interconnection agreements; power pools, power markets, market design and cross-border trading; complex corporate and commercial transactions; and nuclear issues.
Honors & Distinctions
- Received a top ranking for Energy & Natural Resources law in Chambers USA
- Listed since 1991 in The Best Lawyers in America® for Energy Law
- Rated AV® Preeminent™, the highest professional rating awarded by Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Listed in New England Super Lawyers since 2007 for Energy and Natural Resources Law
- Chair, Board of Trustees, American University in Bulgaria
- Member, Maine Bar Association
- Member, Energy Bar Association
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Natural Resources and Energy Law and Public Utilities Section, Committee on Natural Resources and Economic Development
- Adjunct Professor, University of Maine School of Law, International Sustainable Energy Development
- New-England-Canada Business Council’s Energy Trade & Technology Conference, CEO Fireside Chat Moderator and Speaker, November 2018.
- Maine Natural Gas Conference, Co-chair, 2013-2018.
- 2nd Annual Energy Infrastructure Symposium, Panel Moderator, “Creative Financing Solutions for Renewable Projects and End-use Customers in the Northeast,” October 2018.
- Energy Infrastructure Symposium: The Opportunities and Risks for Developing Energy Infrastructure Projects in the Northeast, Panel Moderator, “Market and financial risks that need to be addressed and proposed solutions,” October 2017.
- New-England-Canada Business Council’s Energy Trade & Technology Conference, Moderator and Speaker, “Leadership Perspectives,” November 2016.
- Market Distortion: Effect of renewable generators on commodity prices, generation adequacy and system flexibility; potential solutions; renewable support schemes, demand side involvement, and capacity remuneration mechanisms, 13th ERRA Energy Investment and Regulation Conference, Baku, Azerbaijan, October 2014.
- Potential Market Model Questions During the Market Building Process: How to Attract Investors During the Market Building Process in Emerging Markets? Affordability and Tariff Consequences, 12th ERRA Energy Investment and Regulation Conference, Tallinn, Estonia, October 2013.
- Regulatory Implication of Climate Change Policies, 11th ERRA Energy Investment and Regulation Conference, Izmir, Turkey, October 2012.
- MIT Energy Finance Forum, Oil and Gas – Regulation and Investment, Cambridge, Massachusetts, November 2011.
- Professionalism, Private Investment and Progress: An ERRA Snapshot After 10 Years, 10th ERRA Energy Investment and Regulation Conference, St. Petersburg, Russia, May 2011.
- Sustainable Energy – Factors that Determine Energy Policy, Harvard International Relations Association, 2010.
- Assessing the Role of the Regulator, CEE Energy 2009, Istanbul, Turkey, September 2009.
- Diversified Leadership for Moving Beyond the Carbon Economy in the United States, with Keith Wheeler, Beyond the Carbon Economy: Energy Law in Transition, 2008 (Oxford University Press).
- Advisory Board, University of Maine School of Law
- Board of Trustees, New England-Canada Business Council
- Executive Committee, Yale Law School, Alumni Association