Valerie L. Green
Valerie Green focuses her practice on electricity, natural gas, renewable energy, and regulatory and compliance issues involving the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and other administrative agencies. Clients rely on Valerie’s responsiveness, attention to detail, and deep knowledge of regulatory process and precedent in proceedings involving administrative litigation, compliance audits and investigations, and in appellate litigation before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (D.C. Circuit). Valerie’s focus on coalition and consensus building in situations involving difficult, contentious issues frequently results in successful, advantageous settlements for her clients.
Valerie has extensive experience with a wide range of energy-related issues, including regulation under the Federal Power Act, the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act, Natural Gas Act, the Natural Gas Policy Act of 1978, and FERC’s regulations implementing those statutory regimes. Valerie advises natural gas shippers on pipeline rate and tariff issues, and has advised natural gas pipelines on their rate cases, Standards of Conduct, and FERC’s capacity release rules, and other regulatory issues.
Drawing on her deep knowledge of Independent System Operator and Regional Transmission Organization (ISO/RTO) tariffs and operations, Valerie regularly assists clients in ISO/RTO stakeholder proceedings and as they navigate electric transmission and interconnection issues.
Valerie provides regulatory compliance and enforcement advice, training, and counsel to clients, including advising clients on emerging cybersecurity, and has represented clients who become involved in audits and investigations by FERC, the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), and Regional Reliability Organizations.
In the event of an audit or investigation, she assists clients with data gathering and review, conducts employee interviews, takes and defends depositions, and when necessary, prepares self-reports and negotiates settlements of alleged violations. Valerie’s litigation background includes representing defendants and plaintiffs in energy industry-related matters, as well as construction, employment, insurance, mortgage-lending, and products liability cases.
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Energy & Natural Resources Law (2023)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Energy Law (2021-present)
- Named a Washington, D.C. “Rising Star” in Energy and Natural Resources by Super Lawyers magazine (2014-2016)
- Immediate Past President and Chair of Executive Member Program, Women's Energy Network, Washington, D.C. Chapter
- Member, Energy Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Energy and Public Utilities Section
- Serves as natural gas counsel for a major utility in interstate natural gas pipeline, storage, and other regulatory proceedings before FERC
- Advises investor-owned utility clients, power customers, and electric generation developers in tariff- and rate-related proceedings before FERC and the D.C. Circuit
- Provides legal guidance to clients regarding complex, energy-related transactions, including power purchase agreements, mergers, and asset acquisitions/dispositions
- Conducts regulatory compliance audits and trainings
- Counseled a merchant HVDC transmission developer with regard to MISO Tariff and interconnection issues
- Represented a solar developer in a FERC proceeding regarding its interconnection to the ISO New England transmission system
- Represented a state public service commission in MISO stakeholder proceedings and MISO-related proceedings before FERC
- Counseled an RTO on the integration of new transmission-owning members in a highly-contested proceeding that resulted in settlements with all but one protestor