Marianna Putnam Liddell
Molly Liddell is The Best Lawyers in America's 2022 "Lawyer of the Year" for Maine Trusts & Estates law. She is ranked as "Band 1" for private wealth law by Chambers USA High Net Worth Guide, and is a Fellow of the American College of Trust & Estate Counsel. Molly is the Chair of Pierce Atwood's Trusts & Estates Practice Group, serves on the firm's Management Committee, is on the Maine Supreme Judicial Court's Probate and Trust Law Advisory Commission, serves on the Secretary of State's working group for remote online notarization, and is a frequent speaker on Trusts & Estates matters.
Molly works with high net worth families and individuals on their estate planning. Her approach is to listen carefully to clients and craft custom plans for them that further their legacies with an eye toward tax efficiency and practicality. She has extensive experience with business succession planning particularly in the context of estate planning for owner/entrepreneurs anticipating a liquidity event or business transition. She also drafts prenuptial agreements and is on the firm's probate litigation team.
Molly frequently serves as a trustee for family trusts, working closely with generations of families to provide strategic advice and stewardship of family assets.
Molly seeks to work as a team with other family advisors and regularly collaborates with financial planners, accountants, insurance professionals, and business advisors and consultants.
- The Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year” in Maine for Trusts & Estates (2022)
- Received top Band 1 ranking in Private Wealth Law in Maine in Chambers High Net Worth Guide (2016-present)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® for Trusts and Estates (2013-present)
- Named a New England "Rising Star" for Estate Planning and Probate by Super Lawyers (2012-2015)
- Fellow, The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
- Member, Maine Courts' Probate and Trust Law Advisory Commission
- Member, Maine Estate Planning Council
- Member, Trusts and Estates Section of Maine State Bar Association
- Author of the chapter, "Estate Planning Today: Practicing Amid the Flux of Tax-Related Planning Issues and the Endurance of Non-Tax Planning Issues," in the book Best Practices for Structuring Trusts and Estates, 2013 and 2014 eds.: Leading Lawyers on Drafting a Flexible Plan, Protecting the Client's Assets, and Leveraging Tax Strategies.
- Author of the chapter, "Fundamental Testamentary and Trust Planning," in the book A Practical Guide to Estate Planning in Maine, 2012 ed.
- Member, Katahdin Trust Company Board of Directors
- Former Chair, Maine Women's Fund Planned Giving Committee
- Former member, Maine Medical Center's Planned Giving Committee
- Former member, United Way Foundation's Professional Advisory Committee