Molly Liddell works with clients to help them plan for complicated personal transitions, which can occur at marriage, birth of a child, transfer of a business, death, or through gifting to family members or charitable organizations. Her practice involves estate planning, estate administration, trust administration, business succession planning, and the tax planning related to these areas.
Molly is dedicated to helping clients craft the legacy they leave behind for their families and for other institutions that are important to them, such as charitable organizations or family businesses. She also drafts and negotiates prenuptial agreements and works on the firm's probate litigation team.
Molly works with individuals, families, entrepreneurs, executives, retirees, widows and widowers assisting them with estate planning and related needs. She creates estate plans for people with a variety of different needs and goals, including gift tax leveraging through Qualified Personal Residence Trusts, Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts, and Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts. She also assists clients with the transfer of vacation homes through trusts or limited liability companies or with the estate planning aspects of partial or complete transfer of a business. Molly works closely with financial planners and other professional advisors to develop comprehensive plans to meet her clients' needs.
Molly routinely serves as a trustee of clients' trusts, where she seeks to develop close meaningful relationships with multiple generations of a family and to act as a steward for family wealth into the future.
Molly is one of five Maine attorneys recognized by Chambers USA High Net Worth Guide for private wealth law in "Band 1." She is Chair of Pierce Atwood's Trusts & Estates Practice Group, serves on the firm's Management Committee, and is on the Maine Supreme Judicial Court's Probate and Trust Law Advisory Commission.
Honors & Distinctions
- Received top Band 1 ranking in private wealth law in Maine in Chambers High Net Worth Guide since 2016
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® for Trusts and Estates since 2013
- Named a New England "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers, 2012-2015
- Fellow, The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
- Member, Maine Courts' Probate and Trust Law Advisory Commission
- Member, Maine Estate Planning Council
- Secretary, Trusts and Estates Section of Maine State Bar Association
- Author of the chapter, "Estate Planning Today: Practicing Amid the Flux of Tax-Related Planning Issues and the Endurance of Non-Tax Planning Issues," in the book Best Practices for Structuring Trusts and Estates, 2013 and 2014 eds.: Leading Lawyers on Drafting a Flexible Plan, Protecting the Client's Assets, and Leveraging Tax Strategies.
- Author of the chapter, "Fundamental Testamentary and Trust Planning," in the book A Practical Guide to Estate Planning in Maine, 2012 ed.
- Member, Katahdin Trust Company Board of Directors
- Chair, Maine Women's Fund Planned Giving Committee
- Member, Maine Medical Center's Planned Giving Committee
- Member, United Way Foundation's Professional Advisory Committee