Pierce Atwood Receives Highest Ranks from 2013 Chambers and Partners
Chambers and Partners, a prominent London-based legal research organization, bestowed top rankings on Pierce Atwood LLP and its attorneys as part of the law firm rankings it released earlier this week. The firm has a total of 40 attorneys recognized in the 2013 guide, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
Pierce Atwood is once again the only firm to receive number one rankings in all six practice areas evaluated in Maine by Chambers and Partners – and is the only law firm in Maine to be ranked number one in the Litigation: General Commercial and Environmental practice areas. The firm also received one nationwide attorney ranking for Energy: Oil & Gas work, two attorney rankings in New Hampshire for Corporate and Real Estate work and one attorney ranking in Massachusetts for Bankruptcy work.
“We are proud to have such superior rankings in Chambers and Partners, a research organization that bases its rankings on an independent and objective analysis,” said Gloria Pinza, Managing Partner. “Thanks to the recommendations of our clients and colleagues, once again nearly one third of our attorneys were individually recognized.”
Here’s what Chambers had to say about our six Maine practice areas that received number one rankings:
- Corporate/M&A: “This firm draws praise for the strength of its business group, which has expertise in areas such as business formation and venture capital, loan transactions, M&A, capital markets transactions and corporate governance. In a recent highlight it represented Spinnaker Trust in its merger with Ram Trust Company, creating a combined financial services firm with some $1.2 billion in assets under management. The team harnessed its legal and business skills to take the overall lead in the structuring and execution of the transaction. Chambers sources say: “There's a great breadth and depth. They can handle anything.”
- Energy & Natural Resources: “Pierce Atwood's energy group advises on a host of matters, with comprehensive expertise in electricity regulation, energy litigation, natural gas matters and renewable energy project development. The team maintains a national and international presence advising financial institutions and governmental bodies on energy-related matters. Active clients include Central Maine Power, Iberdrola and Unitil. Chambers sources say: "They're very commercial, easy to deal with, well informed and they know how to get deals done."
- Environment: “This group continues to be a leader in the Maine market and has advised on a range of environmental matters since 1970. The team is particularly recognized for its experience in areas such as land use, natural resources, remediation and toxic tort issues. Recently the group acted for a coalition of municipalities and businesses on an intervention in litigation brought by the Penobscot Indian Nation regarding the scope of its territory and its right to regulate a stretch of the Penobscot River. Chambers sources say: "They work very effectively with their colleagues in providing appropriate levels of staffing and expertise." "A solid reputation."
- Labor & Employment: “This sizable team is well regarded for its comprehensive labor and employment services. It acts for clients across all aspects of employment law and can call upon its employee benefits group for specialized expertise in areas such as executive compensation and health, life and disability plans. Clients include Wright Express, Maine General Medical Center and Nestlé Waters North America. Chambers sources say: “There's a great breadth and depth. They can handle anything.”
- Litigation: General Commercial: “This impressive team maintains a strong reputation nationally and is equipped to handle all varieties of litigation, with experience spanning commercial disputes, class actions and personal injury cases. Pierce Atwood's attorneys frequently appear before state and federal trial courts, appellate courts and agencies. Recently the group represented TD Bank in a series of nationwide class actions in which the plaintiffs allege that the bank charged unlawful overdraft fees. Chambers sources say: "It's certainly a very good litigation shop. I have nothing but good things to say about it." "They provide high-quality service at reasonable rates."
- Real Estate: “Pierce Atwood remains one of the most prominent firms in Maine for real estate work, with expertise spanning all areas of real estate development and management. The group continues to attract an impressive array of clients such as Central Maine Power, the Dead River Company and Nestlé Waters North America. Recently, the firm's attorneys highlighted their dexterity in the real estate domain with the opening of their new offices in Merrill's Wharf, Portland, which required the complex redevelopment and leasing of a large, underutilized warehouse. Chambers sources say: "One thing I love about the firm is that I can call the direct line to any attorney." "They did a magnificent job."
Pierce Atwood LLP, a leading New England law firm, has 140 attorneys who serve regional, national and international clients from offices in Portland and Augusta, Maine; Portsmouth, New Hampshire; Boston, Massachusetts; Providence, Rhode Island; Stockholm, Sweden; and Washington, D.C. For more news, follow us on Twitter @PierceAtwoodLLP.