Don Frederico leads Pierce Atwood's class action defense practice, which received a National Tier One ranking in the 2017 and 2018 U.S. News-Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" reports. A senior trial attorney with more than three decades of courtroom experience, Don has represented defendants in a wide array of class actions in federal and state court, including in such areas as labor and employment, consumer fraud, product liability, environmental and toxic torts, antitrust, and civil RICO.
Don has represented clients in such industries as financial services, building products, retail, pharmaceuticals, automotive, food and beverage, petroleum, chemical manufacturing, health care, high technology, and higher education. He frequently publishes and lectures before national and local bar and industry organizations on topics including class action practice, and serves as editor and contributing author to the firm's class action blog, First Class Defense.
Don has served as Special Discovery Master in complex litigation matters and is a past president of the Boston Bar Association.
Don began his career serving as a law clerk to United States District Judge Joseph L. Tauro in federal district court in Boston. In addition to class actions, he has extensive experience with environmental, toxic tort and product liability litigation.
As a young attorney, he was part of the successful trial team for one of the defendants in the lawsuit memorialized in the book and movie, "A Civil Action." He later served as lead national counsel with respect to class certification and Daubert motions for pharmaceutical companies in the "Fen-Phen" diet drug litigation, and served as lead class certification counsel for a Fortune 50 retailer in wage and hour lawsuits in various state and federal courts.
Honors & Distinctions
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Commercial Litigation, 2017
- Received the Founders Award for Tireless Efforts Against Environmental Racism, Alternatives for Community & Environment, 2003
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of Commercial Litigation and Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions - Defendants, 2013-present
- Recognized by Massachusetts Super Lawyers as a “Top-Rated Class Action & Mass Torts Attorney” in Boston (2004-2005 and 2007-present)
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ 5 out of 5 by Martindale-Hubbell
- Included among 26 attorneys for the Boston Business Journal's inaugural listing of "Who's Who in Legal Services" in March 2011
- Member of Planning Committee and Instructor, ABA National Institute on Class Actions
- Subcommittee Co-chair, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Class Actions and Derivative Suits Committee
- President, Boston Bar Association, 2010-2011
- Board of Trustees, Boston Bar Foundation, 2008-2014
- Board of Directors, New England Legal Foundation, 2007-2016
- Board of Trustees, College of Wooster: Chair, June 2017-present; Member, 2007-present
- Board of Trustees, African Indian Alliance: A Siddi Partnership, Inc., 2015-present
- Council of Overseers, Huntington Theatre Company, 2007-2015