As the leader of Pierce Atwood’s Government Relations practice, Andrea Maker provides governmental relations services in Maine and in Washington, DC with Maine's Congressional delegation. Her practice includes lobbying, government contracts, and strategic positioning of organizations to achieve desired outcomes. Her advocacy focus includes issues in economic development, workforce development, and real estate.
Andrea is adept at building coalitions and developing effective stakeholder relations. She operates in a manner that enhances the credibility and reputation of her clients. Her sensible and proactive approach is refreshing and empowering in the complex and sometimes perplexing public policy arena. Committed to creating a strong and vibrant state of Maine, Andrea enjoys working with clients and as a volunteer to strengthen Maine's economy.
Andrea has developed strong and personal relationships with countless policy makers, business people, and association leaders during her lifetime in Maine. She has served on nonprofit boards including the Susan L. Curtis Foundation and the Maine Community Foundation. She and her husband, Scott, hope that their four children always feel they have an opportunity to live and work in Maine.
Trained as a litigator at Pierce Atwood, she also represented clients in legislative pursuits. She then moved in-house as Director of Public Affairs for former Champion International Paper Company, where for ten years she deployed a broad array of public affairs tools in the company’s media, community and government relations. In the mid-90s, she was a leader in the statewide forestry referenda campaigns. She has also volunteered on campaigns of several legislative races.
From 2004 to early 2011, Andrea was a Vice President for a not-for-profit, Maine health care company, leading its rebranding, communication, legislative relations, and policy activities. Andrea is delighted to have returned to Pierce Atwood as a partner in the Government Relations practice.
Andrea is also a Certified Healthcare Insurance Executive and has a Certificate of Professional Achievement from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University.
Honors & Distinctions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Government Relations since 2013, and named "Lawyer of the Year" in Augusta, Maine for Government Relations in 2015
- Received the 2014 Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award: Government Contracts Attorney of the Year in Maine
- Recipient of the 2016 Maine Real Estate and Development Association Public Policy Award
- Named one of four "Women to Watch" by Mainebiz in 2016
- Recognized in Maine magazine's 2016 "50 Mainers" issue
- Awarded the Crystal Heart Award by the American Heart Association, Maine Chapter in 2017
- Member, Commission on the Future of Maine, 1989
- Member, Commission on the Future of Maine's Paper Industry, 1995
- Co-chair, FocusMaine, 2014 – present
- Board Member, Maine Community Foundation, 2009 – 2011
- Board Member, Susan F. Curtis Foundation, 2003 – 2010
- Founding Board Member, Maine Coalition for Excellence in Education 1990 – 1995