Jon Block represents and advises clients with Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts tax problems. Jon litigates tax cases at the administrative level and through all levels of the court system, advises clients on transactional and multistate tax issues, obtains advance rulings for clients, and does a substantial amount of legislative and government relations work in the tax area. Jon's substantive expertise in state and local tax encompasses corporate and individual income tax, business profits tax, sales and use tax, property tax, excise tax, transfer tax, and other state and local taxes. Jon also advises expanding and relocating companies on taking maximum advantage of available tax and economic development incentives. Jon's client base includes large, medium and small businesses as well as individuals.
Jon has been integrally involved with designing, drafting, and enacting many of Maine's tax exemptions and economic development programs, and works hard to keep many of these programs on the books. Jon is also the state's leading expert on domicile and residency issues involving individual taxpayers.
Honors & Distinctions
- Appointed by Maine’s governor to serve on the Board of the Finance Authority of Maine
- Serves on Board of Advisors to New England State and Local Tax Forum
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® for Tax Law and Tax Litigation and Controversy since 2005
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell and is a recognized leader in his field
- Frequent speaker on state and local tax topics