Anthony R. Derosby
Tony Derosby leads Pierce Atwood’s Immigration Practice Group. He has advised and supported business immigration clients on immigration and global mobility issues for more than 25 years.
Tony helps clients achieve business objectives in the recruitment, hiring, transfer, and retention of international personnel. He serves as immigration counsel for clients in a variety of industries, including health care, technology, education, finance, insurance, manufacturing, transportation, recreation, hospitality, forest products, and energy. His clients include publicly-traded and privately-held multinational corporations requiring guidance and support for cross-border immigration and workforce mobility. He partners with in-house legal counsel, human resources personnel, and recruiters in obtaining temporary and permanent employment-based visas for international personnel required in labor-short or special skills occupations. He has a substantial background in all work-related visa classifications and provides strategic guidance to clients at all stages of the employment relationship.
Tony works with clients to design and implement immigration strategies for significant cross-border projects, including a $120 million dollar capital improvement project involving temporary cross-border assignments for 27 maintenance, engineering, operating and management employees; delivery and installation of offshore wind towers to support 30MW wind turbines for the Deepwater Block Island Offshore Wind Turbine Project involving temporary cross-border assignments for a core project team from various locations in the EU; and cross-border software installation and upgrade projects involving cross-border teams consisting of engineers, IT professionals, business analysts, and operations personnel.
Tony helps clients identify and implement immigration strategies for key personnel, including international personnel recruited for senior leadership and critical technology positions in publicly-traded companies. He serves as immigration counsel for health care organizations and helps health care clients identify and implement immigration strategies for the recruitment and retention of international medical graduates and non-US physicians. He provides immigration guidance and support for private secondary schools and colleges. He works with corporate immigration clients to implement immigration strategies for retention of key international personnel following business acquisitions.
Tony counsels business immigration clients on immigration-related compliance issues. He represents clients in IRCA/I-9 inspections and enforcement actions by US Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.
Tony is a Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and is committed to continuous improvement in the delivery of client service. He has engaged with business immigration clients on the application of Lean Six Sigma principles to achieve improved business immigration processes and reduced cost.
- Top Ranked “Band 1” by Chambers USA in Labor & Employment: Immigration
- Pierce Atwood McKusick Community Impact Award for pro bono work with Immigrant Legal Advocacy Project (2016)
- Selected by The Best Lawyers in America® since 2003 for Immigration Law and named “Lawyer of the Year” in Maine for Immigration Law in 2015
- Katahdin Counsel Recognition by the Maine Supreme Judicial Court for pro bono legal service (2013-2016)
- Outstanding Service Award from the Immigrant Legal Advocacy Project (2013)
- Represents employers and employees in the design and implementation of employment-related immigration strategies. Tony has obtained approvals for thousands of employment-related immigration applications, including applications on behalf of multi-national executives and managers, "extraordinary ability" applicants, "outstanding" researchers and scientists, advance-degree professionals, national-interest waivers, professionals, skilled workers, and immigrant investors, as well as nonimmigrant applications in the J-1, H-1B, L-1, O-1, R, E-1, E-2, E-3, and related dependent applications.
- Serves as outside immigration counsel for IDEXX, a worldwide leader in providing diagnostic, detection, and information systems for veterinary, dairy, and water testing applications. Tony has represented IDEXX for more than 14 years, leading a team providing a full range of immigration and immigration-compliance support. IDEXX is a publicly traded company employing over 7,300 full-time and part-time people across six continents. Tony has implemented Lean Six Sigma methodologies in a continuous improvement process with IDEXX, helping IDEXX achieve process efficiencies and process performance improvements in the delivery of H-1B, L-1, O-1, EB-1, EB-2, EB-3, and other visa strategies.
- Serves as outside immigration counsel for Unum, the largest provider of disability insurance products in the United States and the United Kingdom. Unum is a Fortune 500 company publicly-traded on the New York Stock Exchange, employing more than 9,000 people, with total revenue for the fiscal year ending December 31, 2016 in excess of $11.05 billion. Tony helps lead a team providing a full range of immigration and immigration-related compliance support for Unum. When Unum needed immigration support for the hire of key IT executives, managers, and Agile Scrum leadership, Tony led the team that designed and implemented the business immigration strategies using a range of employment-based visas, including O-1, H-1B, L-1 and employment-based green cards in the EB-1, EB-2 and EB-3 categories.
- Serves as outside immigration counsel for Bates College, a nationally-recognized 150-year old coeducational, nonsectarian, residential college with special commitments to academic rigor and to assuring in all of its efforts the dignity of each individual. Tony supports Bates College on a broad range of questions relating to immigration status, international travel, and visa documentation for international faculty and students, including advice and counsel relating to questions arising under the Trump Administration travel ban.
- Has served as outside immigration counsel for MaineGeneral Health and its affiliates for more than 20 years, leading a team that has designed and implemented a broad range of immigration strategies on behalf of MaineGeneral Health and its physicians, including Conrad 30 waiver applications, H-1Bs, O-1s, and employment-based green cards in the EB-1 and EB-2 categories.
- Serves as outside immigration counsel for MaineHealth, Maine Medical Partners, Maine Medical Center and affiliates forming Maine’s largest integrated healthcare network, helping lead a team that has designed and implemented immigration strategies for MaineHealth and its physicians for more than 20 years, including Conrad 30 waiver applications, H-1Bs, O-1s, and employment-based green cards in the EB-1 and EB-2 categories.
- Has served as outside immigration counsel for J.D. Irving, Limited (“JDI”), and its affiliates (collectively “Irving”), for more than 15 years. Irving is a diverse family-owned company with operations in Canada and the United States. Irving has approximately 13,500 employees working in business segments that include forestry and forest products, transportation, shipbuilding and industrial fabrication, retail and distribution, consumer products, industrial and construction equipment, and specialty printing. Tony leads a team that designs and implements immigration strategies supporting diverse cross border business activities, including applications under NAFTA in the TN, L-1, and B-1 categories.