Jon Gelchinsky specializes in the protection and enforcement of trademark rights for businesses of all sizes. His diverse trademark practice includes counseling clients on the selection of new marks, clearance searching, U.S. and international registration, licensing, enforcement, oppositions, and litigation. He also assists clients with the protection, enforcement, and licensing of copyrights. Over the past two decades, Jon has represented a wide range of clients in a variety of industries, including consumer products, musical instruments, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, computer software and hardware, online media, telecommunications, publishing, education, motorcycles, sporting goods, and heavy machinery. He has also been engaged by numerous startups, entrepreneurs, and early-stage companies to provide strategic counseling in intellectual property matters.
Jon’s experience includes litigating trademark disputes before federal courts and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He has also handled internet-related trademark issues and domain name disputes for clients, including Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceedings and lawsuits before courts in the U.S. and abroad. Jon also advises clients on issues relating to keyword advertising and social media.
Jon has appeared as a panelist and speaker on trademark and unfair competition issues before organizations including the American Bar Association, American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), New England Corporate Counsel Association, Maine Bankers Association, Maine Center for Entrepreneurial Development, University of New Hampshire, and Boston Bar Association. Jon been a guest lecturer on trade dress at Suffolk University Law School, and has been a featured speaker at the AIPLA's annual Trademark Boot Camp, providing training to lawyers and administrators on trademark practice.
Prior to joining Pierce Atwood, Jon was a partner at the intellectual property firm Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP, in Boston.
Honors & Distinctions
- Recognized by World Trademark Review (WTR) for inclusion in its 2019 edition of WTR 1000. This is the eighth consecutive year that Jon has received recognition from this first and only stand-alone ranking publication that focuses exclusively on trademark practices and practitioners. Jon received a silver rating for his work in the categories of Enforcement & Litigation and Prosecution & Strategy.
- Recognized by The Legal 500 U.S. as a leading trademark litigator in 2008, and for non-contentious trademark work for 2010-2011.
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Trademark Office Practices Committee, 2020-2021
- Legislation and Regulation Committee, 2016-2019
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Four Truths for Successful Brand and Trademark Evolution, Package Design Magazine, Sept. 2016
- A Name Worth Remembering: Critical Steps to Creating and Protecting your Trademark, Brand Experience Magazine, April 2016
- 2014 Trademark Law Decisions of the Federal Circuit, American University Law Review (64 Am. U. L. Rev. 967), June 2015
- Protect Your Brand in a Digital World, Mainebiz, July 2017
- U.S. Bose Decision - Effects on Madrid System Users, WIPO Magazine, June 2010
- Common Workplace Activities Can Cause Copyright Problems, New England In-House, May 2010
- President, Board of Directors, Temple Beth El, Portland, Maine
"Jonathan Gelchinsky is a capable lawyer who gives commercial and sensible advice. He is a true business partner in every sense, sticking with the company through thick and thin."
-2019 World Trademark Review WTR 1000