Andrew Kaplan focuses his practice on providers of energy storage, demand response, ancillary services, and electricity and gas transmission and supply, both in the wholesale and retail markets. He regularly represents clients before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and Independent System Operators/Regional Transmission Operators (NYISO, ISO-NE, PJM, Midcontinent ISO, California ISO, SPP and ERCOT), and many state public utility commissions. Andrew has won significant rulings before FERC that helped to pave the way for growth among leaders in the energy storage industry.
With more than 25 years of energy law experience, Andrew acts as a strategic advisor to companies seeking private equity, venture capital, and government loans, and provides legal and business guidance to help obtain key U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) loans, state grants, and incentive tax credits/production tax credits for renewable projects. He also helps facilitate the approval process for federal, state, and local permits, assuring compliance with state siting and grid interconnection requirements.
Andrew’s unique experience as both a private practice attorney and as general counsel and chief of staff with the Massachusetts Department of Telecommunications and Energy (now the Department of Public Utilities) provides significant value to his clients, by offering them a deep understanding of the regulatory process and how regulators are likely to rule on particular issues. Given this background, Andrew is often asked to advise regulatory commissions globally on issues pertaining to electric deregulation and the maintenance of power quality criteria.
- Energy Storage Association
- New England Conference of Public Utility Commissioners
- National Association of Regulatory Commissioners; Committees on Law, Electricity and Natural Gas
- Boston Bar Association Telecommunications and Energy Committee
- American Bar Association Committee on Administrative Law
- Vice Chair, City Year Legal Community Leadership Committee
- Author, "FERC Grants Edison's Wish: Opening Marketplace to Storage" Public Utilities Fortnightly, May 2018
- Author, "Monetizing Energy Storage" Public Utilities Fortnightly, December 2016
- Author, "State Tries to Jump-Start Energy Storage Sector" Banker & Tradesman, June 2015
- Author, "Rev'd and Ready: New York Aims to Reform its Energy Vision" Public Utilities Fortnightly, May 2015