USCIS Provides Special Instructions for B-1/B-2 Visitors Who Want to Enroll in School

USCIS has posted FAQs stating that individuals in B-1 or B-2 status who have violated their nonimmigrant status by enrolling in a course of study are not eligible to extend their B status or change to F-1 or M-1 status. USCIS also stated that individuals whose F-1 or M-1 program start date is deferred to the following academic term or semester because USCIS did not make a decision on their Form I-539 change of status application before the originally intended F-1 program start date must file a second Form I-539 in order to bridge the gap in time between when their current status expires and the 30-day period before the new F-1 program start date.