Olga J. Goldberg advises clients in complex state and local tax matters. She represents clients on tax controversies from the administrative level through litigation and appeal or settlement. She also counsels businesses of all sizes on multistate transaction planning and tax compliance. Olga’s practice covers all types of state and local taxes, including corporate income, business profits, franchise, sales and use, gross receipts and property tax, with a focus on New England taxes.
Prior to joining Pierce Atwood, Olga practiced with the state and local tax groups at Rath, Young and Pignatelli, Eversheds Sutherland (formerly Sutherland Asbill & Brennan), and a boutique state and local tax litigation firm in Austin, Texas.
Olga regularly speaks and writes on a wide range of state and local tax matters, and is actively involved in IPT, ABA, NASBTS, ISA, and COST.
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® “Ones to Watch” for Tax Law and Litigation & Controversy - Tax (2023-present)
- Chair, Maine State Bar Association Tax Section
- Chair, American Bar Association (ABA) / IPT Advanced Sales and Use Tax Seminar Committee
- Vice Chair, Executive Committee of National Association of State Bar Tax Sections (NASBTS)
- Successfully obtained voluntary disclosure agreements (or equivalent results) in over 43 jurisdictions for businesses based in New Hampshire, New England, and beyond.
- Represented a publicly traded company before the Maine Business Court and Supreme Judicial Court in a corporate income tax dispute involving complex constitutional law issues, including taxation of nonunitary income and discrimination in violation of the Commerce Clause.
- Represented large manufacturer in a bench trial before the Maine Business Court in a Public Law 86-272 dispute.
- Represented a Fortune Global 500 company in a Maine corporate income tax dispute involving the sale of a pass-through subsidiary and whether the subsidiary was unitary with the global business enterprise.
- Led state and local tax due diligence review in numerous merger and acquisition transactions, with sale prices ranging from $10 million to over $500 million.
- Regularly advise renewable energy developers in Maine and Massachusetts on state and local tax compliance and incentives.
- Represent and advise high net worth individuals on residency and domicile issues in Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire.
- Pro bono representation of animal sanctuary for abused and neglected farm animals and dogs in litigation to obtain a charitable organization property tax exemption.