Pierce Atwood is a multiservice regional law firm comprised of 150 responsive, creative, collaborative, and hard-working professionals who serve our clients from offices in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia. We are pleased that so many of our attorneys have been recognized and honored both nationally and internationally, and have served as judges, governors, and members of Congress.
- 60 attorneys are listed, and seven named "Lawyer of the Year" in Best Lawyers in America® 2023.
- Land Use & Zoning Law practice received National Tier 1 ranking 2022-2023 in U.S. News-Best Law Firms directory.
- Class actions team received National Tier 1 ranking 2017-2021 in U.S. News-Best Law Firms directory.
Chambers and Partners
- Received number one rankings in seven practice areas evaluated in Maine.
- Pierce Atwood's Environmental and Litigation Practice Groups the only law firm in Maine with a #1 ranking in those practice areas.
- 37 attorneys in all firm offices, across a wide range of practices were recognized in the Chambers USA 2022 guide.
- Pierce Atwood's Trusts & Estates Practice Group, and three of its partners, were ranked #1 for Private Wealth Law in Maine in Chambers 2022 High Net Worth Guide; one partner ranked #1 for Private Wealth Law in New Hampshire.
BTI Consulting Group - the leading providers of strategic research to the legal industry
- BTI Client Service A-Team 2022 ranked us a “Standout” in client-facing communication and investing in client relationships. This is the fifth year Pierce Atwood has been recognized in this study.
- In BTI Litigation Outlook 2019, Pierce Atwood was named to the “Honor Roll” in Employment Litigation, and recognized as a “Standout” in Class Actions Litigation – ranked by corporate counsel as one of the top 26 firms in this area.
- BTI Legal Innovation and Technology Outlook 2019 recognized Pierce Atwood as a Client Experience Innovator, “making strategic changes in client service to deliver a world-class client experience.”
- Included in BTI 2018 Brand Elite research study where we ranked in the top 20% of all law firms "for providing premium-worthy value."
- Recognized in BTI's 2017 Best Collaboration Report, as a firm that shows a deep understanding of client needs across the team.
- BTI Litigation Outlook 2017 recognized Pierce Atwood as an unparalleled leader in client service. Inclusion is limited to law firms considered by clients to deliver the absolute best levels of client service.
- In the 2015 BTI Brand Elite research study, Pierce Atwood was recognized for its leadership, value, and innovation.
Additional Honors & Distinctions. Of our attorneys past and present:
- 5 have been elected members of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- 3 have served as Special Master to the United States Supreme Court
- 3 have been elected Fellows of the American College of Construction Lawyers
- 2 have served as Chief Justice of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court
- 2 have been elected Fellows of American College of Trust & Estate Counsel
- 1 is serving as U.S. Senator from New Hampshire
- 1 is serving as a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- 1 is serving as a judge in New Hampshire Superior Court
- 1 is serving as U.S. Magistrate Judge for the District of Maine
Our attorneys also serve in prominent roles within the legal community. For example, attorneys past and present have served as president of the Maine Trial Lawyers Association, president of the Boston Bar Association, president of the Maine State Bar Association, and head of the American College of Trial Lawyers.