Mike Daly focuses his practice on representing clients involved in litigation over business, insurance and maritime disputes. He has tried, arbitrated, and otherwise litigated cases involving breach of contract, insurance coverage and bad faith allegations, personal injuries, liability under the Jones Act and General Maritime Law, vessel arrests and maritime attachments. Mike’s recent accomplishments include:
- Obtaining a Rhode Island federal court jury verdict for a pro bono client in police brutality case (April 2017).
- Winning appeal to the Massachusetts Appeals Court to obtain insurance coverage for a food processor (April 2017).
- Obtained summary judgment for annuity company that was defrauded out of millions of dollars through a “stranger-initiated annuity transaction” scheme (February 2017).
- Recovering an arbitration award for a health insurer to recoup substantial overpayment of funds paid to health care provider based on false claim submissions (January 2017).
- Obtaining voluntary dismissal of Jones Act claims asserted against tug boat company after exposing multiple fraudulent statements made by the plaintiff (December 2016).
- Winning appeal to the Maine Supreme Judicial Court, vacating judgment against product supplier for breach of warranty (December 2016).
- Obtaining a multimillion dollar judgment in a business contract dispute following a jury trial in Rhode Island federal court (January 2014).
Mike is a frequent author and speaker on topics including federal court practice and procedure, admiralty law, and insurance coverage. For several years, he taught a course on federal court commercial litigation at the Roger Williams University School of Law. Mike currently serves as co-chair of the local rules review committee for the United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island. He also is a co-author of the Local Admiralty Rules for the District of Rhode Island.
Honors & Distinctions
- Ranked in The Best Lawyers in America® for Commercial Litigation since 2016
- Recognized as a Rhode Island Super Lawyer in Business Litigation since 2013
- Recognized as a top "40 Under 40" by Providence Business News in 2013
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section Conference, Extra Contractual Insurance Claims: When Good Faith Claim Handling Misses the Mark or Implodes, Chicago, IL, 2017
- American Claims Institute, Admiralty Claims and Litigation, Houston, TX, February, 2016, 2015 & 2014
- American Bar Association, Annual Meeting 2015, Unsettling Issues With Mass Tort Settlements, Chicago, IL
- Rhode Island Federal District Court Conference: Admiralty Law Arrests and Attachments, October 2013
- National Business Institute: Insurance Coverage Law, 2012 2008 & 2007
- Defense Counsel of Rhode Island, CLE Seminar: Damages: Legal, Practical and Pragmatic Considerations of Value Assessment, May 2011
- Maritime Law Association, Recreational Boating Committee Meeting: Piracy and Recreational Boating, May 2010
- American Bar Association/(TIPS), Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Annual Meeting: Insurance Coverage for Maritime Piracy, February 2010
- Rhode Island Federal District Court / Federal Practice Series Seminar: Admiralty Law and Jurisdiction, March 2009
- Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association, Admiralty Committee (Chair, 2009-10, vice chair 2010-present), The Brief (Editorial Board 2012-14)
- Maritime Law Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
Recent Developments in Admiralty and Maritime Law. Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal (2011, 2010 & 2009). (Co-author).
Marine and Coastal Law, Cases and Materials 2nd Ed. Praeger Publishing. 2010.
Punitive Damages, Rhode Island Chapter. DRI Survey of Punitive Damages Laws. 2009.
Intellectual Property. Chapter, DRI Young Lawyers Form Book. 2009.
Has the Antiquities Act Gone Down With the Ship? A Preemption Analysis of Rhode Island's Shipwreck Laws, 6 Roger Williams U. Law Rev. 539 (2001).
Harbor Management Commission, Portsmouth, R.I., May, 2013-present
Legal Committee, Save the Bay, 2008-present
School Committee Member, Portsmouth, R.I., June 2012 - November 2012
Board Member, Portsmouth Public Education Foundation, 2011-2012
Youth Soccer Coach, Portsmouth, R.I., 2009-2012, 2014-2015