Ocean Renewable Power Company
Aroostook Wind Energy Project
Fox Islands Wind, LLC
Primary Power International
Boralex Industries, Inc.
Our interdisciplinary Renewable Energy Team brings together expertise in all aspects of renewable energy project development to assist developers, power producers, and investors throughout the United States and internationally. Whether the renewable source is wind, solar, hydro, tidal, biomass, or biogas, our lawyers have experience in the core areas that make or break a renewable energy project:
Impacting Policies & Regulations
- We partner with our clients to shape policies and regulations that support the advancement of renewable energy. For example, we represent a large national trade association, which is active on policy formation surrounding alternative fuels and biofuels laws and regulations. We also represent the National Energy Storage Association as well as a number of storage companies on a variety of federal and state issues that affect their businesses.
Environmental Permitting & Licensing
- Successful completion of a project often requires understanding the environmental laws and regulations and the political influences that affect how a project proceeds through the permitting and siting process. In some cases, we work with clients to amend the applicable law or local ordinances so their projects may proceed. We also assist clients with obtaining local, state, and federal permits, permitting compliance, license renewals and modifications, and the acquisition, creation, and sale of greenhouse gas allowances/carbon credits. When a project's useful life comes to an end, we also assist with license surrender and decommissioning.
For example, we have experience helping owners of hydropower projects address fish passage and endangered species issues, achieve desired results in complex stakeholder negotiations as part of FERC licensing, and obtain state water quality certifications. We have also assisted in permitting all aspects of biomass electrical generation, biomass-fired co-generation at industrial facilities, and landfill gas-to-energy facilities. Learn More>
- Our attorneys are experienced practicing before federal agencies including:
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
- Independent System Operators and Regional Transmission Operators (NYISO, ISO-NE, PJM, MISO, CAISO, ERCOT)
- U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- United State Patent & Trademark Office
We also have extensive experience in numerous states and regulatory agencies on issues affecting the facility.
Innovative Project Finance
- Our team coordinates with developers, investors, and lenders to design financing strategies that maximize tax incentives and renewable energy credits. We also advise on a wide array of corporate and commercial structures, and we work with our clients to identify and analyze project risks up-front, prepare and review letters of intent, term sheets, and other documentation, and ensure compliance with federal and state regulatory requirements. Additionally, we have helped clients obtain key U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) loans, state grants, and incentives for renewable energy projects.
- From small-scale wind development projects to large biogas development projects around the globe, we help our clients to negotiate power purchase and interconnection agreements.
Learn more about our work in the Energy, Utilities, and Renewables Industry.