Sarah Tracy’s practice focuses primarily on electric and natural gas proceedings before state and federal entities, including state public utility commissions and state and federal courts. Sarah was part of the core legal team in Central Maine Power Company’s recent rate case and regularly represents a Maine based natural gas local distribution company on various regulatory issues, including an ongoing distribution rate case. Sarah also negotiates and drafts agreements for the purchase of electric energy, capacity and renewable energy credits, as well as long-term contracts for natural gas supply and distribution service.
Before joining Pierce Atwood, Sarah was a staff attorney with the Maine Public Utilities Commission (MPUC) in the Legal and the Electricity and Gas Division. At the MPUC, Sarah served as hearing examiner and presiding officer in various proceedings involving electric and natural gas utilities, including proceedings regarding rate recovery and credit facility approvals. In her role as legal advisor to the Commissioners, Sarah also provided general counsel on legal issues related to state and federal laws and regulations.
Before she joined the MPUC, Sarah was a shareholder in the Energy and Environmental Practice Group at Bernstein Shur in Portland, where she represented renewable energy generators before the MPUC, and in permitting proceedings before the Department of Environmental Protection and the Land Use Regulation Commission. Prior to returning to Maine, Sarah was an attorney in the Litigation Practice Group at Holland & Knight LLP in Boston, Massachusetts. Sarah also clerked for the Honorable Donald G. Alexander of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.
Honors & Distinctions
- Recognized by 2017 Chambers USA for Energy & Natural Resources Law
- Rated AV® by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named a “Rising Star" by New England Super Lawyers in 2009-2010, and 2014-2015
- Named an energy and natural resources "Lawyer to Watch” by Chambers USA in 2010
- Presenter, Natural Gas: Energy for Maine’s Future Conference (2015)
- Presenter, Natural Gas: Continued Growth in Maine Conference (2014)
- Chair, Freeport Ordinance Committee, 2015-present
- Steering Committee, Tri-Town Track and Field Project, 2015-present
- Freeport Town Councilor, March 2013-present
- Freeport Community Services, White Nights Fundraising Committee, 2004-2013
- Wolfe’s Neck Farm Foundation Board of Directors, 2004-2010