Tom Doyle is a partner in Pierce Atwood's Environmental & Land Use Practice Group with 30 years of experience in all areas of environmental and land use law, including adjudicatory proceedings, transactions, permitting, client counseling, enforcement defense, brownfield redevelopment, and legislation. Tom's practice has frequently involved the successful permitting of major development projects that face opposition or complex environmental and land use issues. His transactional experience has included serving as lead environmental counsel in public offerings, mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, site divisions, and project financings. He also has long advised the forest products industry on a variety of strategic environmental, natural resource, land use, and policy issues.
Honors & Distinctions
- Recognized as a leading environmental attorney by Chambers USA
- Included since 1995 in The Best Lawyers in America® in Environmental Law
- Named The Best Lawyers in America® 2014 “Lawyer of the Year” in Environmental Law in Portland, Maine
- Received James River Corporation's Bronze Key Award for Environmental Achievement
- Achieved the highest professional rating, AV® Preeminent™ awarded by Martindale-Hubbell
- Vice-chair, American Bar Association's Environmental Transactions and Brownfields Committee, 2004-present
- Member, Maine State Bar Association, 1982-present (Chair, Natural Resources and Environmental Law Section, 2013)
- Twice served on Governor or legislatively appointed committees to study revisions to Maine's Site Location of Development Law
- Served on Maine Department of Environmental Protection and State Planning Office-appointed committees to review Maine's solid waste laws
- Doyle, Thomas. Maine's Site Location, Storm Water, and Traffic Permitting Laws. Environmental Law in Maine seminar, 2017.
- Doyle, Thomas. Solid Waste Regulations and Recent Developments. Environmental Law in Maine seminar, 2017.
- Doyle, Thomas. Co-author of A Practical Guide to Land Use in Maine, MCLE New England (2016-2018).
- Day, Avery T.; Doyle, Thomas R.; Manahan, Matthew D. About face: How a mine moved toward opening in Maine, Mining Engineering (2012).
- Treasurer, Yale Club of Western Maine, 2007-present
- Treasurer and Board member, Falmouth Little League, 1998-2003