Sarah Beard litigates cases involving state and local tax issues at all levels, and offers transaction planning, regulatory and legislative experience to assist clients in reaching their financial goals.
Sarah has more than 25 years of experience advising businesses on state and local tax issues. Her practice covers all state and local taxes but concentrates on assisting businesses with Maine income tax and sales and use tax issues. Her practice includes state and local tax controversy work at administrative levels and in court, as well as counseling and transactional planning. Sarah has significant experience assisting clients with multistate nexus issues and voluntary disclosure agreements.
Sarah clerked for Chief Justice Vincent McKusick of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court immediately after law school. Following her clerkship she joined Pierce Atwood where she has practiced ever since, in the state and local tax area.
Honors & Distinctions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Tax Law since 2005
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Member, Advisory Board, New England State and Local Tax Forum
- Member, Maine State Bar Association, 1987- present
- Member, American Bar Association, Taxation Section (State and Local Tax Committee), 1993-present
- Member and past Chair of the Executive Committee of the National Association of State Bar Tax Section
- Past Co-chair of the Maine State Bar Association Tax Section
- Sarah contributes the Maine Tax Developments chapter to fall and spring Council on State Taxation audit conference publications.
- “Conflicting Schemes for Apportionment of Service Businesses,” Institute for Professionals in Taxation (IPT) Tax Report, June 2014. This article received IPT’s 2015 Income Tax Article of the Year Award.
- Board of Directors, Education Foundation of Freeport, 2003-2006