Bob Stier concentrates on jury trials of cases involving scientific and technical subject matter, with a particular focus on patent, products liability, trade secret and other technology-related litigation. For 35 years he has successfully handled patent litigation nationwide at the trial and appellate levels for a wide variety of clients, especially those in the biotechnology and semiconductor industries. He recently assembled a group of more than 100 community banks and credit unions to present a joint defense against a company demanding license payments for the use of ATMs, which resulted in the dismissal of all claims against his clients and a covenant not to sue any of the group members. Bob also frequently counsels clients on patent enforcement, infringement, validity and freedom to operate issues.
Bob is also responsible for the firm's office in Sweden and typically spends about four weeks in Stockholm each year assisting Nordic clients with various IP issues in the U.S. His longstanding familiarity with the Swedish language and culture enable him to offer unique insights about resolving or avoiding disputes, a contribution much appreciated by Nordic clients, some of whom he has represented for over 25 years.
Bob has been recognized for more than 20 years by The Best Lawyers in America®. He has been described in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business as "probably the best IP litigator in Maine." According to Chambers: "‘The man is extremely efficient,' clients declare; ‘we can't speak highly enough of him. He gives you his recommendation and your options, and accurately estimates your chance of success.'"
Bob has also taught patent law as an adjunct professor at the University of Maine School of Law and has participated as an instructor in the trial advocacy program at Harvard Law School. He has testified as an expert witness (for the prevailing party) in a jury trial involving alleged malpractice in patent litigation.
Honors & Distinctions
- Since 2014, recognized by Chambers USA for Commercial Litigation, and recognized as a foreign expert in Intellectual Property Law in Chambers Global Guide.
- Since 2013, recognized as a "Local Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation—the definitive guide to America’s leading litigation firms and attorneys. Recognized in the practices General Commercial and Product Liability.
- In 2010, elected as a member in the American Law Institute.
- Since 2007, recognized in Super Lawyers in the practice of Intellectual Property Litigation.
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of IP Litigation and Patent Litigation (1991 - present)
- Member, American Law Institute, 2010-present
- Member, Boston IP Inn of Court, 2009-present
- Member, SwedenBIO, 2007-present
- Co-founder and member, Edward T. Gignoux Inn of Court; former Counselor, 1994-1996
- Former member, Products Liability Advisory Council, 1989-2012
- Gustaf Lagercrantz & Robert H. Stier, Jr., Real Control Over Litigation: Practical Steps to Leverage Your Power as a Client in Today’s Market. International In-house Counsel Journal, Spring 2013
- Robert H. Stier, Jr., Proving Infringement, and Robert H. Stier, Jr. & Margaret Minister O'Keefe, Settlement of Patent Disputes, in Patent Litigation Strategies Handbook, Third Edition 31, 1125 (Barry Grossman & Gary Hoffman eds., 3d ed. 2010)
- Robert H. Stier, Jr, Economic Damages, in Expert Evidence: A Practitioner's Guide to Law, Science and the FJC Manual (Black and Lee, eds., 1997)
- Robert H. Stier, Jr., Revisiting the Missing Witness Inference, 44 Md.L.Rev. 137 (1985)
- President, Board of Directors, Thomas Memorial Library Foundation, 2004-2016
- Trustee and Chairman, Board of Trustees, Thomas Memorial Library, 2000-2006