Ralph tries both civil and criminal cases locally, nationally and internationally. His case experience runs the gamut from Plaintiffs' personal injury to complex commercial matters on the civil side to murder, white collar crime and tax evasion on the criminal side. He also handles admiralty and other complex matters.
Honors & Distinctions
- Served as independent counsel by appointment of the DC Circuit to investigate allegations against then Secretary of Labor Alexis Herman
- Appointed a Special Master by the Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States on four different occasions
- Served as trial counsel for the United States in a dispute with Canada tried and argued before the International Court of Justice at The Hague
- Listed in Chambers USA, The Best Lawyers in America® since 1983 and The International Who's Who of Commercial Litigators
- Past President, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Chair of the Board of Trustees, Supreme Court Historical Society
- Past President, Maine State Bar Association
- Chair, American Bar Association Standing Committee on the Federal Judiciary
- Chair, University of Maine Law School Board of Visitors
- Honorary Member of the Canadian Bar Association
- Creator and Supporter, Maine Assistance Program for Lawyers and Judges
- Chair, Katahdin Counsel Commission
- Creation of a National Disaster Court. A Response to Judicial Federation in Action, 78 Va. L. Rev. 1753 (1992). Co-authored with Catherine Connors, Esq.
- Chair, Davis Family Foundation