Peter Culley is a trial lawyer with extensive jury trial experience. His practice is broad ranging focusing on commercial litigation, personal, products and professional liability and environmental litigation. He believes that litigation matters should be thoroughly evaluated early in the process so that, in conjunction with the client, a litigation strategy can be developed that best suits the case and the goals of the client. Peter previously served as leader of the Litigation Practice Group and currently is General Counsel to the firm.
Early in his career Peter was an Assistant Attorney General for the state of Maine and served as Chief of the Criminal Division of the Department of the Attorney General. He then founded and was managing partner of a Portland law firm specializing in litigation before joining Pierce Atwood.
Honors & Distinctions
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® as a "Lawyer of the Year" for Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants in Portland, Maine in 2018 and 2016
- Since 2013, recognized as a "Local Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation—the definitive guide to America’s leading litigation firms and attorneys in the areas of Environmental, General Commercial, Product Liability, and Professional Liability
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® since 1999, in the areas of Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Banking and Finance, Litigation – Environmental, Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants, and Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers for commercial litigation
- Included in New England Super Lawyers for business litigation since 2007
- Member, Maine Supreme Judicial Court Advisory Committee on Civil Rules, 1992-1998
- Member, Local Rules Advisory Committee for the District Court for the District of Maine, 1997-2002
- Member, Civil Rules Committee of the American College of Trial Lawyers, 2000-2003
- Contributing Editor to the Tort Law Desk Reference published by Aspen Law & Business
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers