Matthew D. Manahan
Matt Manahan is a renewable energy permitting lawyer whose practice focuses on renewable energy projects, including hydropower, wind power, and other alternative energy developments, as well as the associated transmission siting. In addition, Matt works on oil and gas projects, including pipeline siting. Matt’s legal practice focuses on the intersection of natural resources and energy law issues.
Matt appears before and works with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and state and federal environmental, fish and wildlife, and conservation agencies, as well as numerous municipal planning boards and zoning boards of appeals.
Prior to becoming leader of Pierce Atwood's Environmental and Land Use Practice Group, Matt formed and was the leader of both the Hydropower Team and the Land Use Team, and Matt continues to focus much of his practice in those two areas.
- 2017 The Best Lawyers in America® "Lawyer of the Year" in Litigation - Environmental in Portland, Maine
- 2016 The Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year” in Land Use and Zoning Law in Portland, Maine
- 2015 The Best Lawyers in America® “Lawyer of the Year” in Environmental Law in Portland, Maine
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® since 2009
- Chambers USA Band 1 attorney for Environmental Law
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized in Super Lawyers for Environmental Law
- 2008: Bowdoin College Volunteer of the Year Award for service on Bowdoin Alumni Schools and Interviewing Committee
- 1994: Received Maine Bar Foundation Special Recognition Award for outstanding volunteer service
- “Pierce Atwood’s Matt Manahan was our lead attorney for matters pertaining to the relicensing of a hydro electric dam owned and operated by a local PUD. He and his staff provided information and recommendations that proved beneficial in our dealings with the PUD, government agencies, and the local tribe of Indians.” – Paul Machtolf, former Manager of the Ponderay Newsprint Company’s paper mill in Usk, Washington.
- “As an attorney for FPL Group, I retained Pierce Atwood to handle permitting and other environmental matters in Maine. Matt Manahan and his firm are superb environmental lawyers and are extremely knowledgeable concerning substantive and procedural environmental requirements. I recommend Matt highly.” – Harris Rosen, former in-house counsel for FPL Energy in Juno Beach, Florida.
Member, Maine State Bar Association
Member and former Chair, Maine State Bar Association Natural Resources and Environmental Law Section
Member, New Hampshire Bar Association; member Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section
Day, Avery T.; Doyle, Thomas R.; Manahan, Matthew D. About face: How a mine moved toward opening in Maine, Mining Engineering (2012).
Manahan, Matthew and Rayback, Brian. Developments in Maine Environmental Law 2011, MSBA Legal Year In Review 2011.
Manahan, Matthew. Water Rights and Hydropower. Environmental Law in Maine seminar, 2011.
Manahan, Matthew and Verville, Sarah. Water Quality Certification and Relicensing: Sharing Legal Strategies. Hydro Review Magazine, April 2006.
Manahan, Matthew and Verville, Sarah. FERC and Dam Decommissioning. Natural Resources and Environment Journal, Winter 2005.
Treasurer, Senator Susan Collins' Dirgo Leadership PAC, 2015-present
Member, Governor LePage’s Hydropower Development Advisory Group, 2013-2014
Member, Town of Cumberland, Maine Board of Adjustment and Appeals, 1999-present
Member, Bowdoin Alumni Schools and Interviewing Committee
Member, Cornell Alumni Admissions Ambassador Network
Campaign Counsel, Steve Abbott for Governor, 2010
Campaign Counsel, Maine Senator Susan M. Collins, 1994, 1996, 2002, 2008
Member, City of Portland, Maine Board of Appeals, 1991-1998; Chair, 1995-1998
Member, City of Portland, Maine Task Force on Regulation, 1997-1998
Member, Maine Indian Tribal-State Commission, 1994-1996
Member, Maine Critical Areas Advisory Board, 1991-1992