Louise Thomas combines more than 30 years of experience in all varieties of litigation with her extensive expertise in insurance law and contract disputes. In her work from northern Maine to southern California, Louise has represented Fortune 500 companies, the state of California, closely held corporations and individuals from all walks of life. As a result of her depth of her experience, Louise is especially well-equipped to help clients navigate the insurance process and the legal system, both before and during litigation, in order to achieve their goals creatively and economically.
Honors & Distinctions
- Honored by the Maine Trial Lawyers Association in 2014 for ongoing contributions to civil justice and the Maine legal community.
- Received the 2011 Caroline Duby Glassman Award for the promotion of women in the field of law, serving as a mentor for young attorneys and for championing policies that benefit women in the workplace.
- Received the "Outstanding Member Program Award" at the 2011 National Conference of Women's Bar Association's annual meeting for Women Professionals.
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Insurance Law (since 2007) and Energy Law (since 2009), and in 2018 and 2016 was named a Portland, Maine "Lawyer of the Year" in Insurance Law. A testimonial on her Best Lawyers profile states, "Louise is particularly talented at identifying and developing themes, be it an appellate brief, discovery plan, or litigation. A lawyer who has a clear head for the big picture, learns the details, and is a tireless advocate.”
- Member, Maine Insurance Practice Section, 2000-present, (currently Chair)
- Member, Maine Task Force to Adopt Model Rules of Professional Conduct, 2006-2009
- Member, Maine Court Advisory Committee on Civil Rules, 2001-2009 and Professional Responsibility, 1988-1996
- Member, Maine Trial Lawyers, 1977-present, (currently on Board of Directors)
- Member, Maine Assistance Program for Lawyers and Judges, 2000-2010
- Member, American Bar Association's Substance Abuse Committee, 2007 -2010
- Member, Maine Women's Law Section – Women Helping Women
2011 Developments in Maine Tort Law. (November 17, 2011.) Maine State Bar Association Annual Legal Year in Review & Maine Trial Lawyers.
How to Identify and Mitigate Risks to Your Business with Insurance and Other Methods (2004, 2007, 2008. 2010 & 2011).
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage in Maine (2009), seminars 1998-present.
Clear Liability and Serious Damages: HOW TO FIND THE MONEY? Maine Trial Lawyers. (2009 and 2010).
Legal Year in Review – Torts & Insurance (2009 and 2010).
Legal Year in Review – Professional Responsibility (2002-2008).
Ethical Duties and the Problem of Attorney Impairment (presented more than 30 times from 2005 -present to ABA and state bars, private law firms and corporate law departments.