With experience searching real estate titles from the pre-electronic age to the present, identifying and resolving title defects, testifying as an expert witness and managing the real estate aspects of complex development and financing matters, Judy Woodbury is steeped in so-called "dirt law." She enjoys tackling multifaceted real estate problems raised by surveyors and working out missing interests as much as designing easements that will govern the use of land for generations to come.
Judy has managed the real estate aspects of significant, complex, multi-site projects in New England, including representation of parties in both the acquisition and sale of projects for which separation of functions is required, involving complex property divisions with reciprocal easements and agreements and interpretation of survey plans.
As former chair of Pierce Atwood's Real Estate Practice Group, Judy directed the provision of real estate and conveyancing support for all firm practice groups.
Judy has worked for a national title insurance underwriter, is an agent for all the major title insurance companies and has made title insurance claims on behalf of clients. Pursuant to gubernatorial appointment she served on the Maine licensing board for Professional Land Surveyors, approving applications, administering statutory licensing requirements, preparation and administration of examinations, rule-making, and disciplinary proceedings.
Judy's background in real estate law includes experience in commercial and residential acquisitions, sales and financing, and in timberlands acquisitions, sales and partitions, including title abstracting and search services, residential and commercial closing services, and title insurance underwriting for commercial and residential transactions. She also served as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Maine, representing the Department of Human Services. Judy is a member of the Real Estate and Title Section of the Maine State Bar Association and is a past chair of the Section.
Honors & Distinctions
- Recognized by Chambers USA in Real Estate every year since 2005, and has been described as a "thorough, focused and technical" attorney, with "considerable expertise in title matters"
- Recipient of a "Service Recognition" from the Maine Society of Land Surveyors
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® for Real Estate Law since 2007
- Selected for “New England's Top Rated Lawyers” by ALM
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Board Member and Bar Fellow, Maine Justice Foundation
- Leadership Gift Co-chair, Campaign for Justice, 2006-2015
- Stewardship Chair, Steering Committee for Campaign for Justice, 2015-present
- Fellow, Maine Justice Foundation, 2006 - present
- Board of Directors, Maine Justice Foundation 2014-present
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers, 2008-present
- Member, Maine Real Estate Development Association, 2010–present
- Member, Maine Land Conservation Attorneys' Network, 2004-present
- Associate Member, Maine Society of Land Surveyors, 1990-present
- Member, Maine State Bar Association, 1983–present, Chair, MSBA Real Estate and Title Standards Section, 1999-2000
- Member, Cumberland County Bar Association
- Public Member, Board of Licensure for Professional Land Surveyors for the State of Maine, 1990-1995
- Maine Women's Fund - 2013-2015 Sponsorship Committee, Chair; 2013-2015 Development Strategy Committee
- Board of Directors, Friends of Casco Bay / Casco Baykeeper, 2006-2015, Vice President, 2007-2014
- Board of Directors, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Portland, 1982-1987, Program Committee Vice President, 1985-1987