Sarah Beard litigates cases involving state and local tax issues at all levels, and offers transaction planning, regulatory and legislative experience to assist clients in reaching their financial goals. She also obtains advisory rulings and publishes tax guidance for industry groups. Sarah's primary focus is on Maine issues though she also has significant experience with Massachusetts and New Hampshire tax issues and multistate nexus issues.
Sarah clerked for Chief Justice Vincent McKusick of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court immediately after law school. Following her clerkship she joined Pierce Atwood where she has practiced ever since, in the state and local tax area.
Honors & Distinctions
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Taxation Law since 2005
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell
- Member, Maine State Bar Association, 1987- present
- Member, American Bar Association, Taxation Section (State and Local Tax Committee), 1993-present
- Member and past Chair of the Executive Committee of the National Association of State Bar Tax Section
- Past Co-chair of the Maine State Bar Association Tax Section
Sarah contributes the Maine Tax Developments chapter to fall and spring Council on State Taxation audit conference publications.
Board of Directors, Education Foundation of Freeport, 2003-2006