Dave Barry is Pierce Atwood’s managing partner. Previously, Dave was chair of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group, representing clients in a wide variety of complex litigation and counseling clients on how to avoid or minimize the risks and burdens of litigation. Dave also chaired the firm’s Government Investigations and White Collar Criminal Defense practice.
He regularly manages complex business litigation in federal and state courts and has extensive experience assisting clients with government enforcement and compliance matters involving potential criminal penalties. Dave's practice includes representing corporate and individual clients (directors, officers, and other employees) in connection with internal investigations and federal and state criminal and regulatory investigations and enforcement matters, including U.S. Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission investigations, banking and financial crimes, environmental crimes and health care fraud.
Before joining Pierce Atwood, Dave worked with the firm of Baker & McKenzie in Chicago, focusing on commercial litigation.
Honors & Distinctions
- Served as Chief Associate Independent Counsel in the Office of Independent Counsel Ralph I. Lancaster, which investigated allegations of criminal conduct on the part of President Clinton's Secretary of Labor and other officials. Dave and Ralph Lancaster represented the Chief Justice of the New Hampshire Supreme Court in impeachment proceedings before the New Hampshire House of Representatives.
- Asked by the First Circuit to serve as a Maine representative on the court’s Criminal Justice Act Screening Committee, which assists the court in selecting lawyers to be on the Circuit CJA appellate panel.
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Litigation, and included since 2003 in Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, and White Collar Criminal Defense.
- Named "Lawyer of the Year" in Portland, Maine by The Best Lawyers in America® for Litigation - Regulatory Enforcement (SEC, Telecom, Energy) in 2017, and named "Lawyer of the Year" for White Collar Criminal Defense in 2015 and 2016.
- Since 2013, named a "Local Litigation Star" in Maine by Benchmark Litigation—the definitive guide to America’s leading litigation firms and attorneys. Recognized in the areas of General Commercial and White Collar Crime.
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell and as a Top Rated New England Lawyer by ALM.
Member, Maine State Bar Association
Member, Maine Trial Lawyers Association
Member, Cumberland County (Maine) Bar Association