Dan Bailey has more than 25 years of experience in environmental, land use, real estate, and municipal law. He prides himself on offering pragmatic solutions to complicated legal matters. While Dan’s “sweet spot” is the redevelopment of commercial property, he has a strong background in all aspects of environmental and regulatory law. Dan also handles all types of real estate transactions.
Dan has helped facilitate development of a wide range of commercial real estate projects, ranging from mixed use (retail, office, and housing), multifamily housing, athletic facilities, marinas, and large residential subdivisions. He works regularly with development teams seeking state and local permits. Dan has participated in hundreds of public hearings before state agencies and municipal boards and commissions throughout Massachusetts.
Dan also advises a wide variety of clients on federal and state environmental matters and defends administrative enforcement actions brought by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection. Dan’s transactional practice includes acquisition, sale, financing, and leasing, frequently of contaminated or otherwise compromised properties.
He also has experience in all areas of municipal law related to real estate development and sale, including eminent domain, public/private infrastructure financing programs, municipal procurement, and town meeting proceedings. Dan was a geologist before going to law school, and this background has helped Dan become an expert in waterfront property law. He handles numerous complex real estate matters on Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, and especially on Nantucket.
Prior to joining Pierce Atwood, Dan was a director at Rackemann Sawyer & Brewster, where he was co-chair of the Real Estate Department, Group Leader of the Environmental and Land Use Group, and a member of that firm’s Executive Committee. Before entering law school he worked for three years as a geologist with Sohio Petroleum Company in San Francisco.
Honors & Distinctions
Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® in the area of Real Estate Law (2015 - present)
- Boston Bar Association (Section on Environmental Law)
- Real Estate Bar Association (Environmental Section)
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- Editor, Solving Waterfront Property Disputes, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc., 2008, 2011, 2014
- Contributing author and lecturer, "Drafting Commercial Real Estate Documents in Massachusetts," Chapter 7: Environmental Considerations in Commercial Real Estate Transactions, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc., 2004, 2008
- Contributing author, "Crocker's Notes on Common Forms," Section 188-199 (Concerning Property Rights in Tidelands), Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc., 1995, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2013
- Corporate Board Member, Hale Reservation, Westwood, MA, (2011- Present)
- Member, Town of Westwood Conservation Commission, (1997-1998)
- Member, Town of Westwood Economic Development Advisory Board, (2003-2005)